1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Oils vs. Cloth Interior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hytec, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We pick up our 2005 Blue BJ Package tomorrow, but my wife and I were "allowed" to sit in and caress it yesterday...SIGH 8)

This will be our first experience with cloth seats and arm rests. How damaging are body oils, sweat, and the like, to the seats and arm rests? What is recommended, or what do most owners use for keeping the cloth clean and unmatted?

We keep our cars 10+ years, and we wear shorts most of the year, so keeping seats and arm rests clean is an on-going chore. Our previous cars had leather and vinyl interiors, so a cleanup with Armor-All and/or leather treatment was all that was needed. But I imagine that cloth could be a lot more difficult to keep clean......?

Thanks, Hank

Yes, there is a "BJ" Package, at least that's how it's listed on the Gulf States Region MSRP sticker. BJ is similar to the BC Package, but without the HID lamps and VSC system. I'll have to check on the Foglamps, but I don't think they're included either. BJ is also about $1000 less than BC.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not counting my wife's cars, the Prius is my first car ever with cloth upholstery.

In a warm climate, cloth is infinitely more comfortable than the leather that I was accustomed to.

The upholstery manufacturer, Alcantara®, has very good maintenance instructions for this very resilient (and expensive) material at this site: Alcantara® Maintenance.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is our seat material really Alcantara?!? wow I thought it was just a really nice set of cloth with suede inserts...

4. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info and links. I had never heard of Alcantara, it sounds like an excellent product.
    Now I guess I'll just have to learn to clean the car more often...at least more than once a year. :oops:

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My armrest got really nasty over the summer. I used Simple Green. It worked great.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only things you may potentialy have problems with are the armrest and center console. but i would guess the material to be easy to replace. I've heard of ink coming out of the seats with just soap and water. I had an ink mark and it came out with me sitting on it. hehe. the seats are truly awesome from what i've seen so far.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had fabric protection put on by my sister (she works for the local ford dealer) and i have had several spills already. taco sauce cleaned up perfectly. ketchup didnt stand a chance.

and yes i had a small accident with a pink gel pen, it also cleaned up easily.

i dont know how much was due to the fabric protection, but i no longer worry about stains.

i am more concerned with the coating that is on the hard plastic interior areas. things like the buttons for the glove boxes have started to show wear already. it seems almost like paint peeling.

whatever it is, it has depth and color. seems like latex paint...

8. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the plastics "scuff" easy.. if you get them wet the color comes back. and it looks richer. I went to www.moreshine.com and purchased the case of products. While a few are not needed, the rest work wonders. More shine, Less time put a nice coating on the inside. it does not make it look a gross shiny like armorall or other products would. it simpley brings out the burgandy color in my dash and i no longer get those marks from people fingers. if you need to keep the MFD clean.. i would recommend having the screen off or the car off. I use a microfiber type of cloth from lensecrafters. do not use produts on the screen. it can stain it and cause other problems.

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard of others who protected.. but i have not notices a difference between those who have protected theirs and those who have not. I did not want to put anything on my seats. I already know about the company that made them and didn't want to mess with their high class product. but my ink came out no problems. I have not had anything else stain. dirt and everything simply wipes right up.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some of the cars that feature Alcantara® fabrics:

ASTON MARTIN
    - AM Vanquish V12
    - DB7
    - Le Mans

AUDI
    - A3
    - A4
    - A8
    - Quattro GmbH
    - S3
    - S8
    - TT

BMW
    - 3 Series
    - 5 Series
    - 5 Series Chrome
    - 5 Series Sport
    - 7 Series
    - Individual
    - M3
    - M5
    - X5

CITROËN
    - C5
    - C8
    - Xantia
    - XM

FORD
    - Focus RS
    - Puma Racing

HONDA
    - Civic
    - Civic Type R
    - CR-W

JAGUAR
    - X-Type Indianapolis

KOENIGSEGG
    - Koenigsegg CC 2001

LAMBORGHINI
    - Diablo
    - Murcielago

LANCIA
    - Delta HPE
    - K
    - K S.W.
    - Lybra Intensa
    - Lybra LX
    - Phedra
    - Thesis
    - Zeta

LAND ROVER
    - Discovery
    - Freelander

LOTUS
    - Elise

MASERATI
    - 3200 GT
    - Quattroporte-Evoluzione

MAYBACH
    - Maybach

MERCEDES BENZ
    - A-Class A210 Evolution
    - A-Class Designo
    - S-Class
    - SL-Class AMG

MG
    - TF
    - ZR
    - ZT

NISSAN
    - Almera Tino

OPEL
    - Astra Coupé

PEUGEOT
    - 206 GTI
    - 206 RC
    - 206 RG
    - 206 SW

PORSCHE
    - Boxster S

RENAULT
    - Clio Sport
    - Espace Initiale
    - Laguna 2.0 turbo
    - Scenic 4x4 Salomon
    - Vel Satis

SEAT
    - Alhambra
    - Toledo S5

SMART
    - Smart Creamstyle

SPARCO
    - Sparco
    - Sparco

VOLKSWAGEN
    - Passat
    - Passat Highline
    - VW12

VOLVO
    - C 70
    - S 80

Alcantara® Gallery

11. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Interesting that the Prius is not mentioned!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i take it no other toyota has it either?

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because the Prius's interior isn't Alcantara.

It is available as an optional extra in Europe though. A snip at a mere £1350 here in the UK. :crazyeyes: Otherwise, as standard all European cars come with the same grey ("Millbeck") cloth used in the US. We don't get the ivory interior.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know what it is made of but it cleans up easily. I spilled a bit of coffee on the rear seat from my thermos and did not notice it for most of the day. In the evening I saw it and had a bottle of water in the car. That and a paper towel and it came right out! I was pleasantly suprised!

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've always had cars with cloth interiors, and I've never had a problem with body oils or other stains. But if something is being studdorn about coming out, Nature's Miricle (pet stain remover!) works wonders (can you tell I have dogs & cats? LOL). I love leather, but that's aweful cold to sit on in the winter (and blistering hot in the summer!).

16. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, it is on North American specifications Prius models.

Just as the European models have some standard and available features that we don't get in North America, we do get some standard and optional equipment that is extra cost or not available in Europe.

The Alcantara® Gallery is not meant to be an all exclusive listing of all makes and models featuring their products.

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    How can you be so sure? Is there a label on it? Do Toyota state it in the specifications?

All the photos I've seen, it looks exactly like our standard upholstery, and nothing like the European Alcantara brochure photo.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

This prompted me (yet again) to run out to my car and look in the manual. Now I know; on page 263 it clearly states the interior is Vinyl. :crazyeyes:

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how can it be vinyl?? the only vehicles with vinyl upholstery are base versions of pickup trucks

20. tag

tag Senior Member

Because my manual tells me so! :p

Seriously, I think someone at Toyota was a wee bit confused since the manual actually does mention 'the vinyl interior' with respect to cleaning. Sheesh! :roll: