1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mark1154, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just got mine today -- ordered them Monday. Only three days! I took advantage of the "moving" sale and paid $110 with free shipping. I've already read most of the threads re: installation and have no reservations about installing them myself. My recommendation -- get them from Danny and support PriusChat.

2. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are they really needed? I've only seen a few Prii with moldings. I've always wanted to ask if they really have saved from damage.

3. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    About a week after I installed my molding I got a ding in the molding that would have been in the door.

Weel worth it.

:)

4. Neohybrid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got my moldings on 9/11 and finally got a chance to put them on today. I took my time and triple-checked everything before installation and still finished in less than an hour. Looks great! I'll post pics soon.

5. gilmore753

gilmore753 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The prius doesn't come with any molding on the sides at all in package 2?

6. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    ZIP, NADA on any Prius Package. That is why we go to PriusChat and order/install a set. I've installed mine.

7. gilmore753

gilmore753 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I see, thanks!

8. Neohybrid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For those that may be on the fence about getting them.....

When I left work yesterday I decided to walk through the parking garage and just do an informal inventory of door dents. Of the 12 Prii I looked at mine was the only one with side moldings. 5 out of the other 11 had door dings that would be in the molding and not the door if they had them installed. The reason we don't see many is because they don't come standard on any Prius. I've talked to several people that didn't even know you could get them.

FWIW.

9. Neohybrid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A couple of PICS .....

Attached Files:

10. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found this thread as part of a search as to whether these look standard and/or stick well. From what I've seen, the answer is yes.

My Jetta is 5.5 yrs old and has no less than 10 places in the (Stock) side molding where I've had to touch up dings. It has one ding in the actual metal, way up high where the point of a rear Tahoe door got it. That took over 5 years to appear. Moral: These things work well.

Unfortunately, in less than 10 days we already have a ding in the Prius. It does seem like it might be exactly where the molding is going to go, though, so if I was being lazy before, it's time to get the moldings now.

I haven't seen any negative comments about the appearance (i.e. the fit and finish of the molding itself, not whether or not it belongs there). Is everyone who has them happy with the product?

Thanks. J.

11. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Totally. Besides its protective effect, I think it dresses up the car a bit.

12. priusmuku

priusmuku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone removed the body side moldings? Once fixed will there be any paint damage when removing the moldings? Just wanted to know the pros and cons before I install them.

13. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have removed body side molding on another car by "sawing" dental tape (string) between the body and adhesive. Worked fine, with a little Goo Gone clean-up. Do not just pull them off! I installed side moldings on my black Prius but DID NOT use the adhesive-facilitating solution that came with them (I don't know what it does to paint and future removal). It's been 4+ years and no problem with the molding lifting off.