1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bolt sells 579, Volt 3691 in December 2016

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by Ashlem, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevrolet Bolt EV Debuts With 579 Sales In December, But Volt Steals The Show With Record 3,691 Deliveries

Well, the title says it all. Good to see that GM's plug-ins are still doing decent. And I wonder how many bought them because December is the best month to buy a new plug-in if you don't want to wait very long for the plug-in tax credit.

While the Bolt's first month is nowhere near the 781 the Prius Prime logged in November, nor the 1641 in December (the link has a chart that keeps track of plug-in sales by month), I view all plug-in sales as a good thing.

The more people who are driving them, the less gas being burned, and faster we can make plug-ins more acceptable to the general populace.

And while crude, it's awesome telling Big Oil and OPEC to "kiss my gas" when they start price gouging at the pump. Then "fueling up" my Chevy Volt in the convenience of my garage, and not having to pump gas in the freezing cold, sweltering heat, or during a heavy downpour as much anymore.

San_Carlos_Jeff and Zythryn like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! i thought they only delivered 3 bolts, that's great news.

someone posted 4k off the volt, bringing it down to prime pricing. good for gm.(y)

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The first 3 Bolts sold got the media attention, although I was worried as there was so little follow up after that. Sales reportedly really didn't get started until mid December, so I am hoping they can double that in January.
    Of course, typically there is a big decline in January sales, so maybe it just stays the same?

Overall for the year, plugin sales look to top 150,000, which is wonderful. Close to a 30% gain over 2015:love:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just checked the chevy site, bolt isn't even listed yet.:unsure:

i tried volt, said there weren't any within 250 miles. something must be wrong with the website.(n)

#4 bisco, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    GM is being GM , typically they like to run hand to mouth without inventory, this behavior hurts sales but they usually don't care.

GM also locates EVs to only about 2 dozen locations with any consistency.
    Even those locations have run out of Volts and the Bolt is only going to preorders.

My guess is that the discounting of a 2017 volt in 2016 is some sort of tell.
    (Hope I'm wrong)
    The 2017 volt has been out since late January, speculation was that they wanted the improved US engine amoung other things rolled into a new model year, (while the 2016 model run was under 3 months long)
    They may want a very long model year as well possibly waiting till 2018 to release the next volt.

I'm hoping the early Volt clearance and low Bolt inventory does not nod to something more sinister,

GM has been trying to diversify , so hopefully this means they are once again improving despite the trumps, gas prices and downright punitive EV environment in flyover states.
    . (Look at all the states trying to charge hundreds of dollars for the fraction of a percent of ev drivers or worse thousands of dollars for a meter with a monthly fee as well, lots of dumbassery in republican flyover states)

bisco likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only sinister thing going on is that trucks and SUVs are selling well this year. This has lead to everybody having to discount their cars to some degree. More so at GM and Ford in order to move fuel efficient cars to balance out their large truck sales for CAFE. Every Bolt, Volt, and any plug in sold counts as more than one car for that.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone did the math and GM had enough credits by June,

Normally there isn't heavy discounting of a 2017 car in 2016 even with slow sales, can only ponder if GM simply wants a certain volume as a goal or
    again maybe it's a nod to some future strategy.

My hope is they plan on releasing the more efficient Malibu hybrid exhaust heat recovery engine into the 2018 volt and get the car into the 50mpg area like the Malibu.

That system is a god send to anyone with a real winter and it improved the Malibu hybrids gas MPG 20%

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a fan of using Chevy's website to look for cars, since they apparently only do like a 5 mile radius search. Other car selling sites like cargurus or autotrader are more practical since you can broaden your search out to several hundred miles, or even nationwide if you want.

I don't think they'll put it in the Volt, at least not the Gen 2. I remember reading that they didn't include EGR in the Volt for two reasons.

The first being a cost-cutting measure, as they had to decide what to keep in and what to leave out, though no homelink mirror is kind of irksome.

But the second, and probably more important reason being that the gas engine probably wouldn't be run most of the time for most people's commutes due to its battery, whereas the Malibu can't be plugged in, so the gas engine is on all the time. Not to say it wouldn't be useful in winter. But honestly most Volt owners probably wouldn't even notice it unless they live in an area that gets extremely cold for long periods.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Credits can be banked for use up to 5 years forward or back for the year earned.

Yes, normally, but as you mentioned earlier, the 2017 model has been out for some time. The 2016 one didn't even get out nationwide before the 2017 arrived.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did build one, is something different from this morning?

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least you found volts. i figured that 250 mile thing had to be bogus.

El Dobro likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    cars.com or such might be better

bisco likes this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahh, so it's not just me. They have consistently given me that same "none within 250 miles" message for a long time. I went to cars.com and found 5 volts within 90 miles......

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have to sign up?

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your zip code?
    This is a search around Austin, as an example.
    http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/volt-electric-car/locate.html?#/

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LOCATE A 2017 CHEVROLET VOLT
    YOUR ZIP CODE

We are unable to locate a vehicle matching your preferences from the closest 10 dealers or within 250 miles of your zip code 78412.
    Please contact a dealer who can assist you in locating or ordering your vehicle.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You live in the wrong part of the state. :D

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh definitely truck country here :rolleyes: but there are many volts available both up in the San Antonio area and down in the valley that are well within their 250 mile search limitation. Fail.