1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Bolt the cannibal and used hybrid/plug-in generator

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i've been trying to figure out, it makes no cents.

RCO likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It all turns on which group you are talking to. Folks can always find complainers and folks can always find optimistics

RCO likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    GM? ;-)

Prius Maximus and Got2bHam like this.
  4. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    GM=Disappointment

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]

This one? Perhaps this one:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let it go bob, ommmmmmmmmmm.........

RCO likes this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some people complain when they have nothing to complain about.
    ---
    How does the EV-1 specs compare to the LEAF?

How does GM’s fabled EV1 stack up against the current crop of electrics? | Digital Trends

The link is from 2013. So all those EV1 lessees and wannabe owners should have been standing line for a LEAF to replace their poor martyred EV1. That didn't happen and 10+ million other buyers (annually) in the USA didn't want one either. Maybe GM missed an opportunity to build another fan base to rival the Corvette or maybe not.

How long would the EV1's lead-acid pack last and how often would owners be willing to replace it?

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV1 was going to be converted into an 88mpg gas hybrid precept anyone?
    It also would go much further on lithium today than it did back the.

EV1 only needed about 160wthr per mile at 60mph, think about that.

Should compare apples to apples

RCO, hill, Got2bHam and 1 other person like this.
  9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    IMHO the volt and bolt would have come along sooner without killing the EV-1. Still we should keep the model 3 in the picture.

EV1 is worse in about every way than the bolt.
    EV1 Bolt
    18.7 kwh nimh vs 60 kwh limh
    9 second vs 6.5 second 0-60
    2 seat vs 4 seat
    100 mile guestimate range vs 190 car and driver range

Much more convient charging with the bolt too, and the bolt has a lower price. The only thing the ev-1 has over the bolt is it does look different. Hence the model 3 different/better looking, and options to go even farther.

You mean like the 2 seats and couldn't pass current safety tests? The bolt has lots of extra weight to pass those tests. The precept was crazy expensive. Bolt is much less to manufacture than the ev1. The precept was the worst of government regulation, defining a car that would never sell. Bolt will at least sell in the tens of thousands a year. The precept, eh.

Let it go. The tesla model 3 is better in every way than the ev1. GM could have been there first. The bolt is a good try. The model 3 which should sell over 100,000/year world wide is the place ev1 pointed to be.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bolt is almost available, that's it's biggest advantage over smoke and mirrors model 3. when my 3 year lease is up, i'll meet you at the tesla dealer, and we can discuss the pro's and con's. :p

RCO likes this.
  11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt most people will be able to actually get a bolt delivered next year, while if you don't have a deposit down already, we are talking 2019 at the earliest for a model 3. Still if we are talking car tech, the model 3 is not smoke and mirrors, the question really is only when in the next 2 years its shipping and in quantity, and how good will it be. There are no technical hurdles for the model 3 like the model X, but tesla/panasonic need to get quantity up in the nevada battery factory, and there are other supplier questions before it will be shipping in high quanities.

I unfortunately can go to the tesla showroom, but a tesla dealer is illegal in my state. I put my deposit down in the show room, but must order online ;-) I put my deposit down the first day, but don't expect I'll actually get a car delivered for about 18 months. Still the prius will last that long. Glad you are getting a bolt. I'll probably put solar on my roof about the time I get the car, and switch off wind. (for those keeping score, I own my wind renewable credits, someone will buy my solar and make my solar less expensive even though it costs someone more).

bisco likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Short of dragging an EV-1 from a museum and rebuilding the drivetrain with the NiMH batteries, we'll debate but not resolve a 'path not taken.'

We are a decade and a half beyond the EV-1 but I see the same rationalizations in GM today that crushed it 16 years ago. The crippled Volt, resentful Volt. The same VW hubris that killed their cheat diesels.

Look, I hope the Bolt succeeds by taking gasser sales but I fear they are not selling to the gasser crowd.

Offer a Bolt delivery version and I can be persuaded. But it may be too late.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one is selling to the gasser crowd right now, except $100,000 tesla's, and they are rarified air, and not really a gas vs electron choice.

i'm not talking tech, just availability. i'm not getting a bolt, just keeping an open mind. if tesla blows gm out of the water, they'll have to go back to the drawing board, or cut bait. they may wind up two completely different offerings, who knows. i'm not an ev snob, and i'm not enamored with either company. i respect tesla's goals and ideals, have had many quarrels with gm, but we all deserve second chances.

Trollbait and RCO like this.
  14. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lets compare mpg-e to mpg on what people will be comparing the Bolt to. The Volt 106 mpg-e/42 mpg, the Prius Prime 133 mpg-e/54 mpg. Now compare that to the Bolts 119 mpg-e. Considering the Volt and Prime can be had for less it'll be hard for people to step down a EPA class for the mpg difference. Also, what does it cost per kWh to charge the Bolt? All factors that need to be thought about. Considering current fuel prices it's hard to make a Hybrid much less an EV an easy sell.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    a crew at university of wisconsin did just that. IMHO most ev-1 owners would be better off with a volt than the old car, but there was the bleeding from killing the program.
    I don't see anything crippled about the volt. Things were rushed in the volt to get through bankruptcy.
    Its kind of an expensive econobox, so it will take away those sales. GM does not do well in the ecobox market.

patients its coming.

16. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Musk is too cocky for my taste, reminds me of a captain who's getting ready to sail his ship into a storm.

RCO likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's pulled off more than most people, we'll see.

austingreen and Got2bHam like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. right now, people who want an ev don't care about driving cost. they want the ev experience, lower pollution, no foreign oil, you know the drill.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have my issues with Toyota too BUT their arc has more closely followed mine. Had the Prius Prime been available in May 2016, I probably would not be driving a BMW i3-REx tonight.

Happily, I can fix the 2010 Prius screw-up this next month. Thankfully, Toyota didn't force the Miria down everyone's throat. But GM remains tone deaf.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh well, if i buy a bolt, it will be for me, not gm. if they succeed in the process, so be it.

Trollbait and RCO like this.