1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Booming Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nivonia, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Nivonia

Nivonia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius v's rear suspension "booms" at slow speeds (between, say, 10 and 40 KM/h). At very low and high speeds it's fine, but when driving around town on poor road surfaces the rear suspension makes a very noticeable booming sound as it hits bumps. It's not a clonk as if something were loose, but a boom as the rear of the car seems to shudder as it tries to deal with the impact of the bump.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No. What kind of vehicle are you comparing it to? Do you have the tire pressures high?

3. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    my guess is that it's the low rolling ristant tires "pinging" like basket balls.

The suspension is rather "vertical" in design, as opposed to a trailing arm, or independent setup - so road ripples and things like that tend to make the rear axle "hop" or jump over little bumps as opposed to rolling over them...

unfortunately - unless you reconfigured the suspension - it's not going to go away.

4. Nivonia

Nivonia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have changed jobs and the new complex in which I work has rumble strips across the road in numerous places. I have driven three other cars over these strip, and they all take them nicely. The other cars make noise but very little movement. When the rear of my Prius v goes over the strips the car shudders violently. The front suspension does okay with them, but the rear suspension deals with them so badly that the rearview mirror and headliner shakes.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A sway bar for the back might help a bit, at the cost of some flexibility in the suspension. But it'll help keep one wheel from hopping more than the other. On that subject, try hitting the obstacle at a slight angle instead of straight on.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you comparing it to other station wagons that have to have their suspensions able to handle the potential added weight in the rear?

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Prius "v" 2. I have not experienced the "booming" that the OP describes. I go over rail road crossings at 30mph with smooth suspension response.

I have experienced no evidence of "wheel hop" since the time that I owned a 1965 Mustang convertible with rear wheel drive and leaf springs. I do wish that I had kept the Mustang. I sold it in 1975 for $850.