1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boot/Trunk light holder compatible with interior mirror?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by The Professor, Jun 3, 2018.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So there's the rub... My lovely wife likes to have the sun visor down on the passenger side all the time. She also opens the mirror so that she can see the kids in the back. Fair enough. However, this means that the mirror light is on all the time. As I did an interior LED swap, this light is now quite bright... mildly annoying during the day, but really annoying at night.

I noticed that the light in the boot/trunk looks around the same size, but it has a switch on it! Before I go ripping out parts of my car again, does anyone know if these two units are compatible? Can I just remove the bulb fixture from the boot/trunk and swap it with the one behind the sun visor?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Going to answer my own question... Just tried it, but unfortunately the sun visor light is bigger.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Pixel 2 ?

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about a piece of cardboard folded into a 90 degree condition held onto the visor with a rubber or elastic band to act as a "blind" towards your point of view?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Larger-value resistor in series with the LED? Should be able to get whatever brightness you want, unless you used an LED with an active regulator inside, which could thwart the effort.

A PTC thermistor might make a fun experiment ... get bright light briefly for checking your face, but less if the mirror stays open for a long drive.

-Chap

RCO likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Divorce ? :whistle:
    or take the bulb out of that side ?

Diemaster, RCO and The Professor like this.