1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both Batteries replaced but a good ending

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drmanny3, Jul 1, 2010.

1. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

My 2006 has about 67,000 miles on it. The other day it began to behave in a very strange way. I had the triangle show up and it just would not go away. I checked all the fluids and they were good. I did notice that there was a new icon I had never seen before. It looked like it was an curved device with a thermometer attached. When I looked it up the suggestion was to go to Toyota right away. So I decided to drive over. As I drove I could hear the fan from the back seat coming on. It was going very fast, so I guessed that the traction battery was overheating. The car would barely drive, no power. Even when I floored it there was very little acceleration.

I got it to the dealer and they gave me a loaner because it the car was recalled due to the accelerator pedal. Later in the day I got a call saying that a couple of ECUs needed to be replaced. The next day I got a call saying the traction battery was bad and would be replaced under the long term warranty. They said I also needed an aux battery. I knew my battery was not charging up to better than 10 1/2 volts dc. They said it would cost $300 installed, so I said I would get back to them.

I looked on this forum and saw a number of posts concerning the aux battery. I looked into purchasing a yellow top but then decided to go with the OEM. I checked around on the internet and found one for $110 plus freight. I called the dealer where my car was and asked the parts person for his best price. He quoted me $150.00 I asked for a discount but they would only give me 10%. So I figured that was the end of that. I tried calling several other dealers in the area and got the same response. I decided to just buy it online.

However, when I went back to the dealer to pick up my car and asked the manager if he would meet the price. No problem they sold it to me for $121.00. It took me about 30 minutes to put it in. Car is perfect now.

Manny

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad things worked out for you, sounds like you got a pretty good dealer also.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [drivel deleted]

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Persistency and a little wheeling and dealing. Congradulations! and a free new HV Bat!