1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both low beams out

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Powell, Sep 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Powell

Jeff Powell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. I have a question.. I bought my 2013 prius c 2 model new and my wife took it in for the 120k required maintenance a few weeks back. Last week i noticed that when i turn my headlight to the on position which is all the way forward, they do not come on. The first position works(parking lights?) and the high beams work but no lows. I of course popped the hood and verified visually that the lights do not work. Could it be a consequence that the dealership did maintenance and all of a sudden my lights do not work? Could this be a bulb or a fuse? I havent checked the fuse box as I am unsure where it is exactly. Thanks for any help.

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While anything is possible, it is unlikely it's anything the dealership did. More than likely it's just the bulb. As for a "fuse", I wouldn't know the location. But I would think it's fine as well since you have High Beams.

3. Jeff Powell

Jeff Powell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So if both the low beams are out, both sides, then 2 bulbs are blown?

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Both bulbs going out at the same time is weird. Both fuses blowing at the same time is weird too. But I would absolutely check the fuses and then the bulbs.

5. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Weird for sure and I'd agree - check the fuse, then the bulbs. But I've seen it happen - well more than a few times. Weird crap happens on cars and growing up in a dealership, I've probably seen just about everything at least once.

ztanos likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had exactly the same experience on my old Civic Hybrid. Immediately after I had routine maintenance, both of low beans (only low) went out. I took the car back to the dealer but when they told me it will cost at least $100 to just run electrical test, I brought the car back home. The cheapest thing to check first was fuse, which were fine, then moved to bulbs. Got a pair of bulbs from auto parts shop which cost me only ~$5. When I changed both bulbs, yeah, bothe low beams came back on. They have been working fine since then for years now. So, it does happen. Check fuse first then move to bulbs. If that doesn't solve the problem, then think next step which may cost bit more.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One burnt out a week earlier and you didn't notice. Happens all the time.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I read that as, "you did a burn out a week earlier and didn't notice." My coffee-less brain was trying to figure out how you can do a burnout in a PC... and then not notice it.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You do a burnout without noticing it, you may in fact be Ken Block.

ztanos likes this.