1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both pumps replaced around 75k mi. This means I shouldn't have to worry about the coolant till 175k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DarkPri503, May 7, 2013.

1. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just purchased a beautiful 2005 Prius. The records are immaculate and was pleasantly surprised at the care taken to this vehicle.

Now, says a Tuscon, AZ dealership replaced both the regular water pump and the Hybrid pump at around 75k, both stating the use of Toyota Super Long life coolant. If this is the case, can I follow the maintainance schedule of changing it every 100k?

I will, of course, have it checked on by my Toyota dealer whenever she goes in for her 5k service, but as long as its pink, it still should be fine till 100k of use correct!?

Thanks again for any help! :D

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat!
    After the first coolant change, the interval is 50K thereafter. Also, you should double check that the dealer drained all the coolant from the inverter loop while doing the recall pump. They have been known to clamp off the hoses and top off to save on coolant.

3. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, thank you for the reply. I'm worried that it being so long ago (listed over two years) that the dealer would not remember whether or not they clamped or did a full flush...

4. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! What service! I called the Tucson, AZ Precision Toyota Dealer and they were very informative. He informed that me that yes, it was a drain and fill, but also that (like Joe stated) it is 50K thereafter. Looks like the inverter coolant, and the engine coolant, will be done along side the 120K spark plug tune up.

I can only imagine that this will be a hefty bill though.

5. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since you are apparently in Arizona, make friends with Patrick Wong. He is located there as well, and is among the most valuable PriusChat members. If you are inclined to DIY, he can be a big help with info.

6. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm actually in Oregon, but my Prius spent it's entire infancy (about 80k) exclusively in AZ. I'm trying to get it to nigh pristine condition, hence the intense background check of it's services and maintenance. My biggest hurdle is getting the destroyed outer weather stripping replaced before our NW rainy season returns...

And budget (yet quality) OEM or all weather floor mats...

7. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The PriusChat shop has good floor mats. I have 2 sets for my Prii.