1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both Tail Lights went out suddenly - be careful!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluesman78, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was driving on the highway I saw multiple people flash their high beams at me. I pull over right away as soon as it was safe and I saw both my tail lights were out. I was LUCKY - i kept a packet of the replacement bulbs in my glove compartment.

I went to replace one of the bulbs, it was out.

The second bulb, as soon as I jiggled it - the light went back on.

That was kind of weird.

Question: Is there some sort of circuit between the bulbs?

Also, thanks to everyone on this forum who taught me to do basic maintenance like this on the prius.

I'm planning to put the Sylvania LED lights there.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The taillights are a parallel circuit. One lamp failing leaves the other working.

Chances are one failed ages ago and nobody noticed until the second one went. That's actually one of the most common ways it happens.

The electrical contacts have oxidized a bit over the life of the car, and resistance was just a bit too high one day, until you mechanically disturbed it to make a fresh connection.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m ALWAYS careful when driving a 15 year old car. But then....since I drive a technologically disadvantaged car at work (2010 Prius) I have to manage things like lights and battery myself.

I routinely check all my lights with the assistance of store front glass or a co-worker/spouse.
    Tail lights are pretty important, but Brake lights are fairly critical too!

I’m about the least anal person you will meet...BUT....driving is a non-trivial part of my work, and getting into an accident or getting a ticket for equipment means a ding on my record and the strong possibility of a 3 day non-paid vacation.