1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought 2006 w/88k for $6000: good deal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dablues, Jan 13, 2018.

1. dablues

dablues New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

First post here at this great forum. I’ve already learned a ton.

Being sensible has neccesitated selling my beloved ‘90 Miata (also had 88k and a hard top) to get a Prius as our second family car. We’re both teachers so having two kid-friendly cars is kind of a must with our schedules. (I may still keep the Miata as my fun hobby!)

I bought my Forester from Dewey Griffin here in Bellingham, WA, and they were great. Just a couple days ago I saw a nice, 88k mile 2006 Prius for sale for $6700. Thought it was a decent deal, went in. Smelled a bit like dog, but was one owner, older lady, bought and driven locally only. Talked them down to under 6k, $6500 out the door with taxes, registration, etc.

Did I do okay? Other than the slight dog smell, for which I’m using a can of Bad Air Sponge and keeping the windows open while it sits in my garage, it’s in great shape.

Anything I should be careful about? Thanks!

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds OK.
    If it is the original Hybrid Battery, I'd keep $2,000 to $3,000 handy as an emergency fund for when you need a hybrid battery. Being its a 10 year old battery pack, it could be due for failure.

fotomoto likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Just the usual preventative maintenance stuff mentioned in the forums (Thanks for the list @Raytheeagle) :
    • Brake and caliper pin inspection and Lubrication, not a bad idea to flush the fluid either
    • Transaxle fluid change, easy if you can DIY and important if never done before
    • Inverter coolant change
    • Inspect the two (2) water pumps and change if needed
    • Clean the HV battery fan of all the dog hair that has accumulated over the years, important
    • Consider buying (or sharing) a Prolong reconditioning system for the HV battery, or budget for a new HV battery
    • Monitor the engine oil level on a regular basis, and know that when the light comes on its too late
    It’ll help keep your new to you Prius in good sorts(y).

Did it come with two key fobs?

Log in to http://www.toyota.com/owners with your VIN and see what kind of dealer service has be done already.

#3 SFO, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Don Shouse, audiodave, uart and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Go to Kelly blue book and get the trade in value and the outright sale value, then see what they offer you for a cash buyout.
    You need all the info, model 1-9, I had a 9, condition, etc.
    Did you buy from a Toyota dealer.
    If you're going to be moving kids check the 12 volt battery, make sure it's fresh, and never use the accessory mode, only the ready mode, never leave an interior light on overnight or a door open.
    As mentioned, if the traction battery is original, save up 2500-3000$ a new traction is a new car, find a good Toyota dealer, some aren't, pump the tires to 40 and enjoy.

dablues and SFO like this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to pump the tires to more than 37 PSI Front and 35 PSI Rear and check them regularly for how they are wearing. Check the pressure regularly too, especially around changes in temperature and season. Anymore than this just gives you a harder ride and possibly shorter life of the tire due to them wearing the centers down prematurely. If fuel economy is your goal, anything over these pressures gives you negligible savings in fuel and will cost you more in replacing your tires before they would otherwise needing to be replaced.

Most people's fuel economy is affected by running under-inflated tires because they never check them regularly. Anything less than the placarded 35 PSI Front/33 PSI Rear, hits fuel economy hard. This principle of running under-inflated is true of any car, by the way, not just the Prius. It is just that in the Prius you actually notice it.

#5 dolj, Jan 13, 2018
    dablues likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! i had a '91 miata for 12 years, fun car! all the best.(y)

dablues likes this.
  7. dablues

dablues New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You all are amazing. Thanks for the great tips; very helpful. Definitely will keep a fund ready for the battery, but it is possible it’s fine for a nice long while, right? Seems they can go well into the 150 range. But yes, nothing is guaranteed.

Again, great tips! Thanks, all! I may just have enough fun driving this that I don’t need to keep the Miata. Totally different experience but still lots of fun.

8. dablues

dablues New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, two fobs. Very kind of you to list all these things. How do I vacuum the battery vent? I tried just using my wet dry vac and sticking it in the vent, but not sure it’s effective.

SFO likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not so much the fan vent per se (though a good idea), but the actual squirrel cage fan vanes.

Check out this thread, then ask questions if needed.

Cleaning the Prius Hybrid Fan for Preventative Maintenence | PriusChat

#9 SFO, Jan 13, 2018
    Prodigyplace, Raytheeagle and dablues like this.
  10. dablues

dablues New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect! I’ll try tomorrow while my parents hang out with my daughter. I’m sure I can’t screw it up so badly I can’t drive home, right? Right? :-/

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny you should say that.
    Actually, there is a connector in that area that can disable the car if left unplugged.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Asking this AFTER a purchase is somewhat pointless but I'll answer anyways. Nearly two years ago, I got an 06 with only 42k miles (same type of owner sans dog) for about that same price so I think you over paid but like I said it doesn't really matter now. There are sooooo many used-up Pri out there that paying a little extra for a cherry one is expected (I gladly did). (y)

Batteries are like people. Just like regular exercise is good for the body so is regular driving/usage for the battery yet our low mileage cars sat around the house most of the time. LOL They also like living/working temps in the 60-80f range so battery life is generally longer for hybrids in the northern climes; whereas, folks in the deep south like me see shorter working spans (3-4 years out of a 12v isn't uncommon) So, that's good for you up in Washington but ultimately there is a limit time-wise for these chemistries and in 2018 an '06 isn't going to have a "nice long while" no matter where it lives. :coffee:

Tip: find a good source for a NEW battery while you're not under duress due to a failure on the side of the road, away from home, etc. Prices can vary GREATLY, some folks are reporting drops in pricing from Toyota. I now only recommend the much cheaper aftermarket (rebuilt) solutions as a temporary fix. Be wary, they refer to these as "new" but they are still rebuilt with USED cells (modules).

Stick around and read up on the Gen2. It's a really reliable design but just like any car it does have its areas of known issues.

You can enter the VIN here: Toyota Owners Official Web Site and see what previous work has been done by Toyota dealers.

GOOD LUCK!

dablues likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before buying a car it only takes a moment to plug in a Bluetooth OBDII reader and watch the the battery data to see how it performs.

Once you purchase the car it is helpful to use the same tools to get a baseline of the health as well as keep an eye on things over time.

dablues, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might also want to change out the cabin air filter yourself ($6+), takes about 30 seconds and could offer a little relief from some of the dog odor (and you might get lucky and find some nesting activity). Otherwise pick up a small ozone generator, depending on the size it should take care of that dog odor in a couple of hours or less.

Though you may feel safe from rodents by parking in your garage, you're also fairly close to Oregon which is a known hotbed for mice of questionable behavior (and now the munchies). Maybe a member here with practical experience can direct you to the latest in mice abatement and or the proper mitigation of vehicular habitation. Bet your neighbor @cyberpriusII has some trade secrets or a DIY link she could add to the thread.

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most important question of all!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mothballs, lots of! (see threads passim)

17. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get the doggie smell and the dog hair out with a good detailing. I had a Fiero up in Chehalis, mice were a problem. Nasty critters! Ended up taking the dash apart and sanitizing it with nuclear waste. (Only kidding!) It does take strong detergent and running water tho.

I have a friend in Chehalis that had the stinkiest dog in creation--an old fat, black lab. He had the car cleaned with a premium detailer. and it was good enough to sell.

$6 k was about right, I'd say. Especially with the lower mileage. You did way okay! Congrats. I do miss the PNW!

18. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have 2006 and feel it's too old age wise for $6k and not worth it here in southern region as it may have seen too many hot summers to stay fresh...

However if this Prius spent entire life in PNW in Puget Sound region to be specific it might be worth it due to everything inflated up there in PNW and can bring $4500 easily in resell.

#18 jm98, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018