1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought 2009 Prius from Dealer, recall work not done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dmm, May 1, 2013.

1. dmm

dmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2009 Prius from a Toyota dealer. When researching the vehicle I saw there were a few recalls but I assumed the dealer would have fixed them.

When I bought it I looked at the carfax which showed all of the standard maint. had been performed on schedule.

I signed up on the Toyota owners site to see the maintenance record and I see a red "Safety Recall Alert". I click on it and see these recalls: Safety Recall C0U and Safety Recall C0T. Apparently affecting the inverter coolant pump and the steering shaft?

Looking through the records on that site I don't see any evidence that the dealer handled the recall problems. They had the car since December 2012.

Is it possible they fixed the problem and it show up in the records? Do these recalls actually affect my prius?

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    any dealer should be able to look up the VIN and see what has been done.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes both recalls are required for your Prius.

John (Britprius)

4. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

just ask them

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw a thing on tv that it was illegal for a dealer to sell a car that was in their fleet of sales and not perform those up dates.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Simply take the Prius to any Toyota dealer and ask them to perform the recall repairs for you. It is clear that your Prius is affected by the recall as it is VIN specific.

There should be NO charge unless you authorize additional work/repairs at the time of the service. You can expect the dealer to take a minimum of three hours to complete the work. I would suggest you make an appointment.

Good luck to you dmm and welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is the owner's responsibility to bring the car in for recalls, not the dealer because the recall notices are sent to the owner only.
    I know because I bought a new car and received a recall notice within two months and the recall had been out 8 months ago. The manufacturer still building and shipping the cars with the defective parts after the recall let the owner takes it in for replacement.

8. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But the dealer own it before they bought it so it's on the dealer to fix All the recalls before they sell it.

9. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The dealer does not own the cars on the lot and they are not the registered owner. You don't want them to be otherwise you will be buying a pre-owned car.

10. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was it sold as a Toyota Certified used car? If so, completing any open campaigns (recalls) is part of the certification checklist.

SPH-D710 ? 2

11. dmm

dmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for your replies. It was not a certified used car. I'll call tomorrow and find out what's up.

Also I'd like to take this time to comment on how awesome this community is. You take a vehicle which is almost zero maintainance and you find all kinds of fun stuff to do to it. I'm definitely picking up some transaxle fluid while I'm at the dealer. It looks easy enough to change. And the recall on the coolant pump means I get a free inverter coolant change too.

12. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't forget to pick up the two washers when u change the tranny fluid.

13. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe in some states it is illegal to sell a car with outstanding recalls. You should look into this, and bring it up with the dealer.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you do drain and refill the transaxle, it would be a good idea to open the top plug first. If for some reason you drain the fluid and then discover you can't get the plug loose to refill the transaxle you will be in a tight spot.

Good luck to you.

Ron