1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought a hacked prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iipeacefrog, Dec 2, 2017.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think it's that bad, other than the extra mileage, the car essentially is what you bought and still looks and drives the same

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This situation is a proverb/idiom check list:
    • A fool and his money are soon parted.
    • Look before you leap.
    • A man who represents himself has a fool for a client.
    • Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    • One man's trash, is another man's treasure.
    • Good things come to those who wait.
    Are you sure? You knew better, yet you failed to heed your own advice/knowledge.

Odometer Fraud
    DMV requires Odometer attestation disclosure every time the vehicle is bought and sold; even when the vehicle is 10+ years old, something needs to be listed. You should be able to look-up what the odometer was when the fraudster purchased the prius. You know what the fraudster says the mileage was when you bought the car.

HV Battery
    Your description of the HV Battery SOC (State of Charge) swings, fit the pattern of a failing HV Battery. You can do module swaps, buy a "rebuilt/refurbished" pack, new Genuine OEM Pack, or 2k1Toasters cylindrical replacement.
    Normal corrosion on a 10-month old HV battery? | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Post #30- HV Battery Costs
    Post #34- Reality 101 that many fail to account for.​

Member 2k1toaster also made cylindrical replacements for the Prius HV Battery; another worthy option to consider.
    Read about it here: Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells | PriusChat
    2k1Toaster's company: New Prius Battery Kit (GEN2, 2004-2009) - New Prius Batteries LLC

Catalytic Converter
    CARB Certified Cats have to demonstrate the same, or better, emission reduction as the OEM Cat, and have a minimum warranty of 5yr/50,000 mile. That is why CARB Cats are pricey compared to the cheap weld-on/bolt-on non-CARB Cats. You are paying for longevity.

3. iipeacefrog

iipeacefrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if it's worth investing anymore money into this thing. Its very likely that within 50k miles of a battery or cat replacement something else major will fail. There are no dependable maintenance records so i just don't trust the car. I'm going to work to try and get this scammer caught and take him to small claims court but if that route is a dead end I'll probably just drive this thing until the battery dies for good and scrap the car. And yes, I definitely learned my lesson. Not sure how he fooled me twice considering i only bought one car...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another idiom describes throwing good money after bad.....

I'd forget about small claims.
    IF you're able to get the creep served, you'll almost certainly get a judgement......maybe.....but that's all you will get, and your damages AT MOST will be the difference in a 130,000 mile car and a 230,000 mile car....which will not be much.
    If I'm a Judge, I'd kick over a $1000 judgement just to get you out of my court......but then what will you wind up with after you pay filing and service fees?
    If he's selling trash in a Denny's parking lot, what kind of assets can you seize?

I'd cut my losses, sell the car privately (or part it out) and move on.....either upmarket or to a car with fewer long term reliability issues past 100,000 miles.

Good Luck!

SFO likes this.
  5. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would think you could part the car out and make your money back plus some. That is if you want to get out of it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car parts take forever to sell. And you might possibly just break even on $3000. Best to just drive it and don't think too much about it.

m.wynn and SFO like this.
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Really? My son parts out Civic's & Eclipse's in about 2 weeks or less. I would have thought second hand Prius parts would be just as sought after. But then, I guess I can see your point. Not as many kids buying a Prius to hop up as there is for Civics and Eclipse's.

m.wynn likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing really breaks on a Prius. That's why it's hard to sell. The car is also a base model (no sks functions).

Engine and Transaxle - $300 each (due to high mileage, and you have to remove them)
    Worn HV battery - $300-$500
    Catalytic converter - $300

That's about all the high ticket items. You'll have to get a $100 here $100 there to add up to $3000

m.wynn likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I (briefly) read through the thread, and am surprised nobody has said the instrument cluster may have been replaced. Remember that the Gen2's have the problem with the instrument cluster circuitry that makes them fail. It's a few capacitors to replace, but most people don't repair little stuff, you replace. My guess is that the cluster went bad and they bought a salvage one to replace it. Someone somewhere was dishonest, but the seller might actually not have known. Of course the proper thing to do is replace it and then program the odometer to read the proper mileage, but most don't do that. And once you get to 299,999, it just stops anyways.

Brian in Tucson, m.wynn and SFO like this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it was mentioned in one of the posts.....oh maybe not....I think everyone is convinced this was a sketchy purchase

m.wynn, SFO, 2k1Toaster and 1 other person like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remembered it too. It was mentioned in post 4.

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, there you go then.

Carry on folks...

Prodigyplace likes this.