1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought a used battery pack from scrapyard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scroopy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Scroopy

Scroopy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello

I have just received the gen2 batterypack I've ordered from a scrapyard.

Every single cell is reading 7.58 volts. Does this mean this pack is good or has it been balanced? I told the people from the scrapyard I do not want a refurbished pack because it's likely to fail soon. They asked me to send my old battery back so thats why I'm afraid they are refurbishing packs (they told me they won't send me a refurbished one).

My own batterypack that failed was reading between 7.9 and 8.05V and one cell 6.95v (bad cell). But the other cells (I thought good cells) weren't reading exactly the same voltage either like the one I just received.

Hope someone can clarify.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If all the modules read 7.58, you can probably just stick it in the car and try it out.

There is a date code on the modules (the serial number). If all the serial numbers are similar, then it's probably not a refurbished pack. If there's an oddball serial number that doesn't match the rest, then that's probably a replacement module in the pack.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on the scrap pack?

Scroopy likes this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a very good find!

Most, if not all, recyclers (junk/scrap/salvage yards) sell major parts on a "core" basis only; meaning you bring your non-working one in and they sell you a working one but used. Why? Simple, most core parts (batteries, engines, modules, etc) have more value than their scrap weight suggests to the "rebuilding" industry. Even if the part is not going to be "rebuilt", it has value based on the scrap metal weight. Batteries of all types are sold for recycling, based on their type and weight.

Specifically with a HV pack from a Gen2 Prius, the "core" value of the pack is around $800. Which if you can buy one, is a screaming deal for even 24 good used modules.

Scroopy likes this.
  5. Scroopy

Scroopy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah all the same.

Just called them today because i've ordered a 2008 one and they gave me one from 2005. They will give me a 1 yr warranty instead of 3 months. I put the pack today and seems good. When it breaks down within a year they will send me a new one (from broken down car) and pay for the postage.

SFO likes this.
  6. Scroopy

Scroopy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005, 190.000km

bisco likes this.
  7. Scroopy

Scroopy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kept my old (bad) pack for now. I can give it to them they will give me 150 euro for it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The modules that are still good, would fetch $40US/each all day long, so what 50 Euros or so???