1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought a used Prius during Superbowl week.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by priusfansince2017, May 16, 2017.

1. priusfansince2017

priusfansince2017 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyway, I love the car. It's smooth, quiet, and beats the pants off any gas mileage I've gotten to-date with another. My Prius is a 2003.

it wasn't until after I drove it off the lot that I got an error code. It was a big one. So I did some research online (that's how I found this place) and browsed some threads here. I ran a engine diagnostic to get p3023. As I'm sure most people here are aware of, this is a battery block malfunction, a problem with the hybrid battery pack.

According to the paperwork I have, this is a two part fix, and it is NOT a cheap fix. I have quotes of $1565 and $975 to fix it. That's a lot to invest into a car that's fifteen years old, and it has 157k miles on it to-boot. So my question is, is it worth putting this kind of money into a fifteen year old car to fix it? Or am I better off trading up to a newer model? With a new hybrid pack, how long should I reasonably be able to predict I can go before needing to make this costly, costly repair again?

I'm still making payments on this one, so I'd really prefer to not trade-up if at all possible, as I know I'd be making a car payment of $300+ which I can't afford (I'm paying $170 right now). But I don't know enough information to make the best judgment call.

And that's what brings me here. Advice?

2. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can you try clearing the codes to see if it comes up again? I used to get hybrid (red triangle of doom) codes all the time in hot weather. It went away in the winter, then came back the next summer. No symptoms, though. So I just kept driving and have been doing that for 2-3 years. I don't know if you have any symptoms. If not, why not just keep driving and not worry about it? It's not like it will lose value. If the hybrid battery is already toast, it's not like it will lose $ value.

Your car, like my car, is probably worth next to nothing. If the dealership gives you $1-2K on it, it's going to be against a low-value, mid-range or high-end new car, anyway, so don't think you're getting any actual money from them by "trading up."

What do they do with those cars, anyway? New car dealers don't deal in used car parts and I doubt they can resell something like this (they ship to auctions much newer cars).

3. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, we tried that. The codes (also red triangle of doom) came back within four minutes after being cleared. So there's def something there. Googling my symptoms have brought me to similar threads on this site, which is what further confirms the hybrid battery pack issues. I just am pretty shaky about this level of investment into an old high mileage vehicle.

I'm not concerned about "losing money" on a trade up. I know I would. Can't really afford to make the higher payments though.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The prices you quoted are NOT NEW batteries.

They are USED batteries.
    They may install a different pack, or maybe they replace one small section inside the pack. You won't know until you ask some hard questions of them.

There are many sketchy folks out there taking advantage of people in your exact situation. Buyer beware.

I'd be happy to talk through options with you and share what to look out for. Feel free to call.

Do you know what warranty they are offering for each of the fixes?

A NEW battery costs $2,500 or more. So that is why it is clear you are not being quoted for a NEW one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just the part itself. It's an auto part store, not a mechanic. No warranty. Yet another reason why I haven't done this yet.

6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No warranty?
    Then it should be a lot lower price.

You asked how long it might last, and I'd say, Not Very Long.

It's tricky. You can't sell it for much the way it is. It's going to cost something to get it at least patch up to (kind of) run.

A hybrid of this age is best for someone who is planning to do the work themselves.

Not sure where you are located. Of local rooms me in Wisconsin, feel free to stop by and I can show you a few things/ideas.

Are you comfortable working on your car/hybrid battery? Or will you need to hire a mechanic?

7. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, sorry. I'm in the Pacific-Northwest (Portland metro). And no, I'm not comfortable working on this myself as I've never owned a hybrid before and am not completely confident in my mechanic skills in the first place.

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a great place called Atomic Auto.
    Is that one of the places you called?
    Atomic Auto | Hybrid and EV Maintenance and Repair

They are very knowlegable. The options they put forward may not be the cheapest, but they can likely point you in the right direction.
    A note about what they belive, From their website "Us. All of this experience has gone to our heads. We're really confident that we can figure out what's wrong with your car. And we're confident that when we fix it, it's for good. If you're dissatisfied, or even unsatisfied, let us know, and we'll work to make it right."
    I would trust these guys opinions.

To take care of this damage properly is going to cost a fair amount of money. $1,500 - $2,500.

There are other options that may basically have a random chance of working.
    Junkyard packs in your area show a price of $800 and up just for the part. (I looked for "battery" on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market using a Portland area zip code)
    Looks like there is a random Craiglist listing in your area that has a 2 year warranty for $1,500. No idea if these guys are legit. I'd ask around.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    what is this 'paperwork' with a two part fix?

10. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it sounds like this other retailer (Cost Less) isn't that far off either.

Any idea if this part, when it's new, how long that would last me? That's what I've been trying to find out, I don't want to spend this kind of money and have it go out in like six months. Y'know?

11. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a print-out straight from the retailer with the Hybrid Battery Pack part info.

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It could very easily die after 6 months this.

There is not a required standard for "rebuilding" or "refurbishing" a hybrid battery.

Cheap rebuilds cut corners every chance they get. Leaving you with an inferior product hat will likely have problems in short order.

A brand new pack will likely last as long as the original pack, if not longer.

But a new pack is going to likely be nearly $3,000 if you have to have someone install it for you.

A quality rebuild will be warrantied for 3 years. It won't last as long as a new one but you'll get at least 3 years out of it.

Seriously, call Atomic and see what they have to say.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I will look into calling them tomorrow.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric, my first thought was buss bars. Given that he lives in the wet environs of the Pac NW and the car is relatively low mileage that would be my first guess. The previous owner of my 03 had this occur here in hot, dry Tucson and it was a local car. He cleaned them and that solved the problem. I installed the Prolong* pigtail and using Hybrid Automotives system balanced the cells and reset them to fully charge

OP, welcome to the forum, if you were closer, I'd help you inspect the buss bars and the cells. The buss bars can be cleaned up. You're right, they are great little cars. And the batteries are their Achilles heel.

15. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, 156k is considered low mileage for this car? This is the highest mileage vehicle I've owned haha...

16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah. My 03 has 147,000 and hardly broken in. My 02 has a smidge over 200,000 and is going strong.

17. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well now I don't feel so bad about dumping $2500 into the car to get it going then. I thought 150k + was high mileage like on other cars...

18. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some battery basics. A new battery from Toyota will likely outlast the rest of the car. Spendy, but imho worth it. 2003 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping Camel Back offers free shipping on a lot of their stuff, don't know about the battery, tho.

Toyota doesn't mess with reconditioned batteries or even repairing the batteries themselves. When they get a core battery, they send it on for recycling. So if you would get a Dorman remanufactured battery, the dealer would likely decline installing it.

Warranty if you or your non Toyota mechanic installs the battery is 1 year. If the battery is installed at a dealer, it's 3 years, I believe. Changing a battery pack is not exactly plug & play. There's stuff to transfer over and procedures to follow. As well a dealing with the high voltage and possible liability issues--it is in the high 200 plus voltage range and DC voltage packs a larger punch that AC does.

You didn't say what you paid for it or if you actually financed it. If it threw the codes in the street in front of the car lot immediately probably a small claims court would have been in order. You could have maybe made a case that they sold the car under false pretenses, that they didn't disclose a known defect to you. I know, AS IS, WHERE IS. But this sounds fishy to me.

Toyota does have a "Goodwill" program where they might give you a discount on a new battery pack. I've read of people getting like $1000 off. Discuss this with the Toyota service manager and call Toyotas US headquarters.

19. priusfansince2017

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lotta great information here, so thanks for that! Quite a bit reassured in investing into it now, 3yr warranty is good. Reading that other confirms this is not the project for me to take a hands-on approach with, best to take it to a Toyota certified mechanic. The codes didn't happen like immediately, it took about a day before they popped up. Then I saw what they were and...I should have coughed up the $30 for a Carfox. Hindsight now, I guess. Lesson learned. As is no warranty though, means they wouldn't be liable at all. Used cars are always buyer beware.

Yeah, I got it for $4k (that's what KBB suggested too), making payments on it. They were firm on the price, and I went with it, looking at the money saved on mileage in the long run as "eventually paying for itself". Thus far I've not had to fill up but once in five weeks, about 250 miles each time. Which is great for a $23 tank.

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, that really bites. I guess I'd look on Craigslist that repairs batteries--the point is to get it working for as cheap as possible. If it's the buss bars, they can clean those up.

It sure would have been nice if you'd found this forum before you bought this thing. Way too much money for it. And financed, too.I'm assuming it's pretty nice otherwise?

You really need to explore the Toyota Goodwill thing. Basically you'll get the estimate for the dealer replacement, parts and labor, and then call Toyota Corporate to request Goodwill help.