1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought another used 2006 Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by caliwaves, Jan 13, 2021.

1. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few months ago, I helped my family member bought a used 2006 Prius (143k miles) which we drove to Texas. I've done some maintenance on the car thanks to all the info-share and support of this forum.

Well, I enjoyed it so much, I bought a used 2006 Prius for myself at $4500 (also @143k miles). Its in really good condition for its age with normal blemishes on parts of the bumper. Unlike the previous one (sorry family member), this one comes with PKG #6 and leather seats. Major services were maintained at dealer, with oil changes and minor services done at highly reputable independents. As the car will be in California, I had the millercat shield installed today at Frost Automotive ($275). I also asked them to do an oil change and give their look over if they notice anything needing attention. Prior to buying, I did have a pre-inspection done at a Japanese repair shop. The seller mused that it took a heck of a long time - what can we say, the owners who are Japanese care about their craft. Unfortunately my drprius app is not syncing with my veepeak this time around so I cant run the battery tests.. so that part concerns me. Acknowledging thats a concern, no other red flags popped up and the car runs great.

Some common failure components have been serviced/replaced:
    engine water pump + belt (2011)
    12v battery (2014)
    oem hv battery (2014)
    engine coolant (2015)
    hybrid battery fan (2016) + threw off codes and cleaned (2019) - owner had two dogs
    inverter pump and coolant add (2018) - surprised it lasted that long
    spark plugs (2018)
    transaxle fluid drain and fill (2018)
    front brakes replaced/rotors resurfaced + rear brakes cleaned/adjusted (2018)

Some things I want to do over the next few months:
    complete engine + inverter coolant drain and fill (with exception of 2015, it seems past services were more fill ups)
    brake fluid drain and fill (nec.? fluid was only added during last brakes svc)
    replace engine water pump + belt as preventative measure

Here's some pictures! ..And if any member here is in SoCal, would love to get in touch as I continue on this DIY journey! Thanks again everyone!!

Attached Files:

2. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    + minor, but im glad this 06 doesn't have the dashboard hump/bump!