1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought Clarity over Model 3, Prime, Volt

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by fotomoto, Mar 16, 2019.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So for personal reasons, I needed to start looking at another family vehicle. Previous ownership relevent to this: Gen 2&3 Prius, Gen1 Camry hybrid, Gen1 Volt, and C-Max Energi. I considered those listed in the subject line: Model 3 (standard range), Prime and Gen2 Volt plus the current Korean offerings which are not really available locally.

I really like my C-Max especially for the CUV form factor and the bang-4-buck it offered at the time in 2014 when I got it (pano roof, rain sensing wipers, power lift gate, leather interior, optional sound, pearl paint, etc) . But time moves on and Ford is in pause mode while formulating their next move (word is it's with Volkswagen). It's still a great car (76mpg lifetime), no issues, and will stay in the family.

The base SR Model 3 at 200 miles is way too short for Texas at interstate speeds and charger locations. The Prime is in short supply here in Texas thus dealers/gulf states Toyota aren't dealing on prices and, more importantly, it's not much of an upgrade from the Energi in terms of range. And..... the over the top styling doesn't appeal to me (apologies to prime owners). The Korean entrants aren't even on local lots so.... it quickly narrowed to the Clarity and Volt.

A major requirement for me were the newer driving aids; primarily ACC that I narrowly missed out on the 2013 Energi. On the Volt, it means getting a loaded premier level which is in the $40k region while the Clarity has it at only $32k. A quick test drive between the two and it was a slam dunk decision: Clarity!

On gas in HV mode, driving at 75mph at interstate speeds=my gen2 prius fuel economy (42ish). Dropping it below 70=my gen3 fuel economy (48ish). The car is both very quiet and smooth. Sport mode satisfies any longings for my former Volt when I want to "punch it". Brake hold mode means no pedal holding at stops. ACC and LKAS driving aids make long drives less taxing.

Filling up at the only public charger near me (another reason I didn't go for a BEV) but at least it was free!

IMG_8583 2.JPG

After a long a very long drive around town today to use the battery from full to empty, this is the next estimated drive range:

IMG_4330.PNG

So far, lifetime is 54mpg.

drash, iplug, TGrracie and 2 others like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NICE!! Congrats. I hear good stuff about the Clarity. Let us know how it goes as you get more experience with it.

fotomoto and CLUBGUY like this.
  3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    See you have a new "ride"....... congrats..

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's with EV and HV combined? What is pure HV mpg? Is it as low as they say? How about the real life EV range? Can you get more out of it? I am thinking if we get another car with bigger cargo for my wife to drive, I am going to trade in my PRIME for Clarity to increase the EV range.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My best friend just bought one of those a few months ago. He loves it. I've been out for a few rides, seems nice.

I notice that the '18 Clarity wound up on the CR 'used cars to avoid' list but haven't worked out why. Nothing is clear cut with that publication lately.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, even if I can find a USED clarity on market, which I think is a very hard find, I would avoid it for sure without reading CR article. I can buy a brand new 2019 Clarity cheaper with all incentives.

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Wow it really looks nice!

The only 'problem' I see with it is that it doesn't have Toyota's HSD. I'm just a bit leery of the long term reliability of any other hybrid/plugin system.

mjoo likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes combined but that's at 1,300 miles of which 1,100 was a gas road trip (one very small partial charge to demonstrate the procedure to family). So far I've only had two 100% EV trips totaling approx. 125 EV miles. Honda went mainstream on the info metrics and the displays are incredibly basic; no breakdowns of data, etc. Geeks will be disappointed.

On the trip, I got low 40's @ 75mph interstate and upper 40's @ 55-70mph on an ICE with less than 100 miles at the start. Low mileage reports in the upper 30's are from using HV charge mode to replenish the pack using the ICE while driving or just inefficient driving.

I've never used CR for car research. They dinged the C-Max hard too but the neg reports were due to the Ford Sync (thank you microsoft) and had nothing to do with reliability. My short time on the Honda boards leads me to think that the Clarity has attracted a lot of first time hybrid owners who simply don't understand the car and some have knee-jerk reactions to issues they don't understand with some extremists talking class-action lawsuits or recalls. Really? How about read the owners manual. Nah...

So, pretty much every non-toyota hybrid then. LOL Yeah, I think Honda learned some painful lessons on their previous designs. The Clarity triplets (BEV, PHEV, FCEV) are an all new ballgame. We'll see.

Fun fact: Every light on and in the car is an LED except the vanity mirror lights.

Salamander_King likes this.