1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought my first prius. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PapaMurphysLaw, Jul 9, 2018.

1. PapaMurphysLaw

PapaMurphysLaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I just bought a red 2008 Prius Touring today. I've done a lot of research but there's so much involved with owning a prius! So all the reading and research I've done seems to have slipped away a bit now that I'm confronted by the physical thing. So does anybody have any tips to help me with preventing battery drainage, the built in stereo-touch-screen-device operation, and increasing MPG? All tips are very beneficial and I'll gladly read and research any you experts provide. Also, yes I am looking into getting an owner's manual to help with that area of research. Thanks for any help you have to offer to help with my great new car!

mr88cet likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! how many miles on her?

first thing is to check the 12v battery health.
    you can download an owners manual for free somewhere, maybe the owners site?
    speaking of which, log on and plug in your vin for past service and recalls.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want the tires to wear evenly, 38 to 40 PSI is near to that ideal, and will give better MPGs, handling, and safety, at a cost in comfort. Replace your tires with Low Rolling Resistance tires to get the best MPG.

Never use any electrical devices except when Ready; the 12 volt battery is very small.

The HV battery will charge when needed, not your worry. Do not try to drive when out of gas.

Toyota's Owners manuals
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM08W1QG/pdf/2008_Prius_QRG_lr.pdf
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47613U/pdf/OM47613U.pdf
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-08PriusWI/pdf/2008_Prius_OWI_lr.pdf
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-08Prius/pdf/T-MMS-08Prius.pdf

John's user guide

John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide (Iconic)

#3 JimboPalmer, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Welcome and enjoy your new type of transportation.

Begin by reading the stickies in the newbie sub-forum starting with this one:

What every newb should know | PriusChat

5. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got her with barely 118,000 miles! I looked into the service history before the purchase in addition to the pre-purchase inspection done by the Toyota dealership. Luckily no serious issues but good idea I'll look into the 12v. It may have gone without being checked. Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  6. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've been looking through the John's guide. Thanks for the links to the manuals! As for the 12v, I have a small car plug with a charger for my phone in the cigarette lighter. Is that something I should avoid using often?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will be fine, the cigarette lighter is only on in Ready.

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I recall, 2008 is pretty much the same as 2009 (other than price!), so your new beast is the same as our red 2009 touring!

Mostly, I’d just say, “just enjoy it!” In terms of getting best mileage though, I’d say, “don’t get too obsessed with the tiny details of your driving habits, and just drive conservatively”: Don’t drive or accelerate faster than necessary, brake early and moderately, maintain consistent speeds, and don’t overdo the air conditioner. (All this, unless you have to drive it otherwise for safety reasons, of course.)

Be cautious of one ... “inadvertent scam” for lack of a better phrase: One time I took it into the dealer (otherwise quite reputable dealer), and, after several years driving it, there was a mild coolant leak. They fixed that just fine, but shortly thereafter, it posted a code saying that the 3-way coolant valve had to be replaced. It turns out that that same code is also thrown just if they overfilled the coolant. I strongly suspect that there was nothing really wrong with the valve, and they just overfilled it.

#8 mr88cet, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay great thank you! That's really good to know. As far as the interior goes, do you know any tips or tricks for useful hidden things or for basic operation of the touch-screen steroids system? There always seems to be new little things hiding out whether it's an electronic feature or a cubby or whatever. Thanks for your help on this

10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, and two other important things regarding optimal mileage — true for pretty much any other car too: Make sure tire inflation stays good (if anything perhaps a little high rather than low), and also don’t carry around much extra “trunk junk.”

I find the basic operations of the touchscreen setup pretty straight forward. There are much-more-involved operations where ... pretty much just have to read the NAV manual. A couple things pop into mind:

If you tap on a spot in the map, you will see a crosshairs icon stick on that location. To switch back to following your current location, IIRC, hit the map button.

You might want to see about getting an update to the NAV’s maps, from the dealer. It comes in the form of a DVD that you plug it into a reader under the driver’s seat, IIRC. Perhaps pop out the DVD that’s currently in there to see which version (date) it is (maybe it’s already been updated).

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But there doesn't HAVE to be.

I know it might be hard to believe from what you see in places like this but most Prius owners just drive their nice little car in a conservative manner and just enjoy the crap out of it.
    Then if and when something goes wrong, they take it to a shop to get it fixed.

All of the exotic things that people describe that they do with their car is just a symptom of OCD or techno-nerds.....or both.

Honestly, worry less and enjoy more.

mr88cet likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only hidden cubby is the drawer facing forward at the bottom of the center console.
    and of course, you have the nice slot with auto press cover below the radio, and the double glove box.
    and there is a huge storage tray below the hatch deck, above the spare.
    good time to check the spare tire and tools.

13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But where do I put my sunglasses????????!

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and phone?:unsure:

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh, DON'T GET ME STARTED on those damn cell phones! And texting! About 70% of the accidents out here are due to calling/texting!

Speeding, racing, drunks, and pot heads take care of the rest. :mad:

I'm going back to The Happiest Place on Earth

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you've already found@john1701a 's guide.

As for hidden things, there's a hidden drawer at the base of your centre console that slides forward into the empty space between the front seats. It's good for tissue boxes, notepads or any small items you want to keep out of the way. Most people are not aware there's a drawer there.

Your tires need to be 2 psi higher in the front than the rear (the Prius is front heavy.. weight distribution is 60/40 front/rear). Stock is 35/33. Depending on the type of tire you have right now, you could bump it up to 38/36 or 40/38. I would experiment with different pressures because higher pressures will get you better mpg but it will also result in a rougher ride so if your roads are bad, stick with a lower pressure. If your roads are smooth, you can go higher.

Give a her a good wash, claybar and wax! A smooth paint helps with aerodynamics ;) (partially joking but the physics is sound. Besides, why wouldn't you want a nice, shiny car)

Starship16 likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I sure wish the Gen4 had all those little storage areas. And a good wash & wax also makes your Prius engine perform better and quieter. ;)

#17 Starship16, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    mr88cet and Tideland Prius like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too. I miss all the cubbies that the Gen 2 had (for those who never had Gen 2s, it even had shelves for the upper and lower gloveboxes!). I don't fill them (less weight = higher mpg) but it's nice to keep organised.

Engine? no no. You gotta add stickers. Everyone knows stickers and decals add 5hp.

Starship16 and jerrymildred like this.
  19. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I largely agree. Clever driving might be able to save you a couple MPG, but ultimately not worth it; just drive!

(But drive reasonably conservatively.)

#19 mr88cet, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Going to fill your custom churro warmer:whistle:?