1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought my first Prius with a blown engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by techguy802, Mar 19, 2018.

1. techguy802

techguy802 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone,

Pretty excited to be working on my first hybrid project car! I bought a 2008 Prius with just over 192,000 miles and a blown engine. The girl that owned it before me ran it out of oil and it threw a rod. The car is from California and in pretty good shape save for the scrape in the picture. I believe it has Package #6 because it has leather, backup camera, navigation, etc. The HV battery was replaced 3 years ago at 158,000 miles.

I picked up a used engine with 119,000 miles and am in the middle of swapping it out. Just got the engine and transmission out the bottom tonight after disconnecting everything yesterday. The worst part was fighting with it for over an hour until I realized the subframe needed to be dropped. That wasn't very hard. Duh. :rolleyes:

This forum is a great source of information and I've been reading a lot to get up to date on Prius "quirks". I've always had VWs and Saabs so this is new territory. Anything specific I should keep an eye out for? I have Toyota Super Long Life coolant and ATF WS ordered, along with an eBay Mini VCI cable. The thing I'm most paranoid about is getting the coolant bled properly so I went ahead and ordered a coolant vacuum fill setup from Amazon.

Fingers crossed it all works when it goes back together! Going to be working on it evenings after work, so aiming to have it done by this weekend.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! will be watching with envy and interest, all the best!(y)

m.wynn, SFO, techguy802 and 2 others like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice looking car, I'm sure it will run fine.

techguy802 likes this.
  4. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow lucky. Wish mine had leather.

I found it funny how you are paranoid about the coolant when you are swapping the engine LOL

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just be careful, when you come connecting the throttle assembly position sensor, and there's another sensor underneath the throttle assembly. Make sure its connected. If you forgot, car isn't gonna start.

Ensure when you introduce the coolant into the radiator or Inverter assembly, you bleed both systems.

Check also to see if the ABS pump is working perfectly.

This would be the right time for you to replaced the transmission fluid in the eCVT now, since it has got lots of miles on it.

PS: Did you drop the whole subframe down before you could access the engine and transmission? Well, I have never gone through that route though. I usually remove them in bits, if I realised I got no tools at my disposal. Pretty much, your method is kinda easy.

Dxta

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you can’t get it to ready first check the service pug in hybrid battery. Most of people forget to do the slide part at the end that tells the computer the plug is in place.

When you get it back together make sure not to discharge hybrid battery by repeatedly trying to start it if there is something stopping engine from starting (disconnected sensor etc.).
    It hard to tell in a Prius, if the engine is running or just cranking as they sound similar. Just press the gas pedal (in park) when you think it’s running. If it’s running engine will rev.

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  7. techguy802

techguy802 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha! I've done a few VW engine swaps and one Mini Cooper. This one definitely has the most complicated wiring harness out of any of them! ;) Back to it tonight before I forget how it goes back together.

The coolant worries me with all the possible air pockets and the inverter overheating but with the vacuum system I bought hoping that'll be straight forward.

I did drop the whole subframe... that was a first for me since the VWs and Mini I've worked on came right out the top. Everything I read said the Prius had to come out the bottom. There's a rigid AC line across the middle of the top, but even if I evacuated the AC I'm not convinced there would be room out the top. Everyone also said by the time you finagled separating the engine and transmission in the car, you might as well have dropped it out as a whole. I agree now!

Haven't looked in the ABS pump at all and have no idea where it is, more to read!

I am changing the transmission fluid with the proper Totota ATF WS. I was happy to find there is no filter to deal with and simple drain/fill holes.

Good points about the battery! The car did sit for about a month before I bought it. I surprisingly was able to drive it onto and back off the trailer with just battery power even though the gas engine wasn't running and had a hole in the bottom of it! Hoping I didn't drain the hybrid battery too badly from those 2 couple of feet drives.

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just hope after the overhaul, the battery would be able to power that engine. It may start the car.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did this car get a BRAND NEW HV battery 3 years ago? If it has a refurbished battery, you might need to get it charged before starting it. The time that it has sat would almost make that battery go out of balance.

If it got a new battery 3 years ago, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. techguy802

techguy802 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it was a brand new battery... a dealership did it. This shows up on the Owner's site:

IMG_0078.PNG

The person I bought it from also sent me a screenshot that the dealer had e-mailed them of the work order, but I couldn't tell anything more from that.

11. techguy802

techguy802 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got it back together the other night and she fired right up! HV battery showed about half a charge so I don't think it had time to discharge too much. I have a light bulb icon on the dash, looks like it has a side marker light out.

Bleeding the coolant was a pain. The inverter loop is set, but the ICE loop may still have some air in it. We bled it over a couple days after letting it cool each time. The radiator fill neck has been holding steady at full, and the bleeder screw no longer has any bubbles but the coolant recovery pump sounds pretty rough. We did cycle that a bunch of times while bleeding and it sounded fine then, but I guess we'll have to do it again.

Props to this forum for the great amount of info, couldn't have done it without it!

IMG_0122.JPG

Meekong, valde3 and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

techguy802 likes this.
  13. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Awesome!! Love to see threads like this!!

techguy802 likes this.
  14. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that'll do it!

ROFLMAO! You are in for a treat, not many quirks with Toyota products, comparatively speaking.

Good luck! Not many folks have the gumption to do a project like this! In my youth, all day and every day, not now though :(

techguy802 likes this.
  15. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good. I've replaced them out the top without removing the sub frame. It's a tight fit though. Nice job!

techguy802 likes this.