1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought used 2006 prius with 74k. Does it need extra care?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rgrajanin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I bought a 2006 prius with 74k mile on it from a dealer. It is certified for 1 year or 1lakh miles as part of basic warranty. Is it good to buy an extended warranty of 100000miles/8 years or 125000 lakh miles platinum plan. I will drive around 500miles every week. Does any of these plans needed with about 2000 k for 100000 plan? Please suggest to make a decision. Also I am seeing tire presssure warning light glows every alternate day and I do the air filling then it disappears. Is this really a problem with the tires? Does spare tire pressure is also counted in this display?

Is it good to have this 2006 prius with 74k for a weekly drive of 500miles of which 400 will be on highways? Or should use a regular corolla or civic kind of cars?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you already bought the car, it is too late to be wondering whether a Corolla or Civic would serve as a reasonable alternative. The Prius is a great choice for owners who drive long distances as you do.

Generally, extended warranties are just another a way for dealers to make a profit. I suggest you carefully consider the coverage offered by that warranty and decide whether the cost is worth the coverage.

Yes, if you see the tire pressure warning light come on then you have a problem with at least one tire. There probably is a nail in the tread which is causing air to leak out. You should have that checked out so that you are not stuck on the side of the highway during your 100 mile daily commute. The spare tire does not have a pressure sensor.

3. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Pat. I drive around 40miles daily and on weekends around 400miles. I am considering buying a warranty of 8 years or 125k, if I find any issues (do we get issues after 75k and before 100k??) I can sell it to with the warranty.

Can the warranty can be bought in this forum for a lesser price? I could not find a link to this. I am in Ohio and not sure whether I will be covered if I buy from this forum.

What would be the resale value of my prius by 8 years and around 100K on it? The gain per year through gas would be around 600$ but will I loose more if I try to sell it?

If I ask the dealer to cancel this transaction, will it be accepted? I drove around 700miles since I bought about a week.

Also, the driver side hand rest on the cup holders is coming out. Will this be covered under warranty? I believe they sold me hiding this.. :(

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If Ohio is a carb state the hybrid system is could be guaranteed for 10 years or 150,000 miles if not it is covered for
    8 years 100,000 miles.

The extended guarantee I believe can be bought on this forum no doubt someone will come along with the details.

5. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Brit.
    What you mean by 'carb state'? I am not sure. Does this relate to any co2 emission ? I would check if you provide more info on this.

I would be happy if anyone comes back with the details soon. I am planning to visit my dealer today (After a week I bought) to
    1) see the TPMS light issue - comes on and off
    2) one charging point does not work
    3) driver seat right hand rest / cup holder does not lock.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Carb stands for California air resources bureau. Some state support this scheme check yours.

7. rgrajanin

rgrajanin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally fixed my TPMS issue. The reason for this is 'leakage in rim', i could not understand that and how they were not able to identify this in the past 4 visits.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My understanding is that Toyota's extended warranty has to be purchased within the 1st 3 years/36000 miles. On an extended warranty the clock is ticking from the 1st mile & date of original service. The most you could get is 2 years & 26000 or 51000 miles out of the extended warranties you mention. The car already has a 1 year warranty on it from the dealer and the balance of the factory warranty. Save your money.

Yes, your car needs extra care. It feels lonely & unwanted. It will be very happy that you are going to be driving it so much and will reward you with higher fuel economy. And it won't pee on the carpet. My 2006 was the best car I had up to that point. Best wishes for many happy years together.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three