1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought used Prius 2 months ago. Now getting C1256/C1344 error codes. Dealer asks for $3000 to repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Moonlit, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Moonlit

Moonlit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Story of my life when buying a used car...

I bought a relatively low mileage 2005 Prius (125k) two months ago.
    It has worked fine during all that time. Yesterday when I turned it on, the Brake/ABS/VCS lights went on.

I really needed the car for work that day and after asking in 2 local shops and since they didn't have anything available I decided to take it to the dealer. I thought it wouldn't be anything serious.

They diagnosed the car and said that the error codes C1256 / C1344 were present and that the vehicle needed a brake accumulator assembly and bleed the brake system. Cost of the repair would be $3000, which is slightly less of what I paid for the car 2 months ago.

I can't really afford that cost and I was wondering if you guys have any ideas, if there is something else that can be done for a cheaper price or if I can continue driving the car like that. I'm really discouraged because I've never been lucky buying a used car. Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Best bet is to search for a mechanic who will install a salvage unit

Probably around $1,000.

Moonlit likes this.