1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought Used Prius, Getting Code P0A92-606

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JTucson, Dec 15, 2018.

1. JTucson

JTucson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just bought an old prius the girl was a speed demon car mostly had highway miles 222k. She took it to a shop and they said it was a code P0A92-606 and I just have a generic code reader and it says P0A7A. Could it be just fluids or inverter? Should I have gotten the same P0A92 code?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Skibob likes this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A generic code reader cannot correctly read the codes. I would go with needing to replace the transaxle as the most likely fix.

And I agree with Jimbo. Start a new thread.

#3 Skibob, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  4. JTucson

JTucson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks, I will start a new thread next time a shop noted above diagnosed it as M1 recommending a trans-axle replacement. I was just hopeful that was something as simple as a fluid change due to metal in the oil but that is not it.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Skibob likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. JTucson

JTucson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just wanted to follow up with a happy ending to this thread. Its interesting the heart transplant post being linked since that is what is happening in a sense. I did have to tow the Prius up to Phoenix to a shop that had a wrecked Prius with a good engine and transaxle. It was a miracle that I was able to get the car up on the dolly since the dreaded triangle was not really letting the car move well. Then when I got there I had to clear the codes since the car would not go into ready mode to get off the dolly. It was kind of a fluke thing getting this engine/transaxle from a car that was from the same year and same color. The donor car was the courtesy car for a shop that works on Prius hybrids and other cars and a customer wrecked it. I negotiated a deal to swap the whole setup engine/transmission from the wrecked car into mine. The donor car has 156k miles so that shaves off 66k from the drive line that was in there. I plan to get a ride up Friday to get the car and drive it home. Hopefully with regular fluid changes this nice little car will get another 200k and is saved from getting scrapped!

P.S. Thanks for moving the thread.

My Prius with the bad transaxle:
    IMG_1766.jpg

This is the donor car that the engine/transmission came from:
    00q0q_4mgJ02fHaaq_600x450.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Argonfatl

Argonfatl New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two