1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

box under the drivers seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xTKxhom3r, Jun 28, 2013.

1. xTKxhom3r

xTKxhom3r New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so i just bought a crashed 2007 prius from the auto auctions to fix and the car runs great now but theres two problems with it

1. the mfd says cannot connect to external systems or something
    2. key fob doesnt lock/unlock doors (sks system)

so the external systems thing, its telling me that because someone stole the box.... i bought one from a junk yard but only to find out the plugs dont fit... are there different revisions between the years? how can i find out which box is the one i need and where is the cheapest place to find one?

and what does that box control besides the gps? can i disable the msg and run the car fine with out one? dont really need the gps to be honest...

and on the key fob problem i checked the button under the steering wheel its out so the lock/unlock function should work right? and yes the red light on the fob does light up

thanks in advanced guys :)

kenmce likes this.
  2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. If you have navigation, then you have a dvd player under the driver's seat with the GPS maps. I don't know
    what version you need for your car. Someone else with an 06 probably can tell you. I do know that the '04 and '05 versions are not compatible with 06 and newer.
    Please be more specific than "cannot connect to external systems or something" so someone can help you pinpoint the problem. Tell us EXACTLY what message is displayed on the MFD.

2. Did you test the fob to see if the doors lock and unlock after releasing the disable button under the dash?

Can you start the car without inserting the fob into the key slot? This should work also if the fob is functioning correctly

3. xTKxhom3r

xTKxhom3r New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the exact msg is "external systems not connected" and yes the car does have nav

and yes i have tried turning the car on with out sticking the key in the slot, it does not work

so your saying a 2006 or newer dvd box should work on the 07? my personal prius is a 06 maybe ill take the box out of that one and see if it fits so i can get the right model number?

and do you think the key fob not working has something to do with the box missing?

4. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my '05 the key fob would not open the door or start the car unless inserted. I have no idea if there is a way to do this yourself, but I found a place nearby that specializes in programming car keys. They added the smart key to my car for me and it works now. I think it cost about $50.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    On the gen I, that message meant that you had the GPS button, but didn't have the GPS system.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing.

No.

The key sensors are small and flat, roughly the size of a deck of cards. You have one under the center armrest and another in the trunk. They don't need the GPS for anything, they just care if you are close to the car.