1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boy risks suspension to join Girl's Bowling Team

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SteveS, Nov 9, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

I agree, "discrimination" is clearly both morally reprehensible and illegal. It is in no way shape or form "OK".

In fact, I've been "victimized" several times. Without going into details, those instances were not unlike what this kid is experiencing.

However, my suspicion is that there's something more here than is readily apparent from a surface analysis. I mean, this kid just recently figured out there were bowling alleys and that he "loved the sport"? He's a senior already for chrissakes! I don't believe he tried out for the team when he was a freshman, sophomore, or junior. Why NOW? Funny that this just happens to be a team that WON the IHSA state championship in 2004 and he must be aware that if he were on the team then, according to IHSA rules, the team would be excluded from participating in any IHSA-sanctioned tournaments.

So, I'm not sure whether his intentions are honorable in that he just wants to play, or whether he's looking to pick a fight with the school (or at a higher level, like with the IHSA), or is trying to sabotage the team (for who knows why), or just wanted to see his name in the papers and on television. Whatever, I suspect there's something more to this than just a "love of bowling".

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I don't think any of these arguments would be used to keep a girl from joining the team in her senior year.
    In fact, I don't recall a student's motivation being a criteria on any team I joined when I was in high school.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

You are correct, of course, on both counts.

My only point was, if an ulterior motive is involved here (as I suspect might be the case) that would substantially reduce my level of empathy for the kid's plight.

There are people who face illegal discrimination (in all the various flavors) every single day who are genuinely demolished by it, both personally and professionally. They aren't simply trying to "test the waters", prove a point, or pick a fight.

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I didn't see anything in the article which would lead me to suspect the boy's motives.

He likes to bowl.
    He wants to join a bowling team.
    His school has only a girls bowling team.
    There should be no question of his being allowed to join it.
    It's settled law.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Should be is the key. However, it certainly isn't settled law, at least not from my (admittedly limited) knowledge and research on this issue.

Basically, the applicable laws protect both sexes BUT originate from the premise that females have traditionally been underrepresented in athletic programs (at the collegiate level and lower). As a result, note the following, the passage underlined, in particular:

Title 29, PART 36
    Subpart D—Discrimination on the Basis of Sex in Education Programs or Activities Prohibited
    § 36.450 Athletics.

(a) General. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, be treated differently from another person, or otherwise be discriminated against in any interscholastic, intercollegiate, club, or intramural athletics offered by a recipient, and no recipient shall provide any such athletics separately on such basis.

(b) Separate teams. Notwithstanding the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, a recipient may operate or sponsor separate teams for members of each sex where selection for such teams is based upon competitive skill or the activity involved is a contact sport. However, where a recipient operates or sponsors a team in a particular sport for members of one sex but operates or sponsors no such team for members of the other sex, and athletic opportunities for members of that sex have previously been limited, members of the excluded sex must be allowed to try out for the team offered unless the sport involved is a contact sport. For the purposes of these Title IX regulations, contact sports include boxing, wrestling, rugby, ice hockey, football, basketball, and other sports the purpose or major activity of which involves bodily contact.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

Can you imagine unisex bathrooms? I've heard women's bathrooms are notoriously "dirtier" than mens...

:ph34r:

7. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have another interesting read for you:

8. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks, however, I have read those amendments.......in law school. What's your point?

Short summary (from my recollection and to the best of my knowledge):

The 9th Amendment has never been used, as a primary basis, to invalidate a federal, state, or local law. Further, last time I looked, it wasn't even clear that the 9th Amendment applies to the states.

The 10th Amendment serves as a limitation of the federal government's power over the states.

So, again, I don't see the point in supporting an argument here based on those amendments unless you're trying to argue that the feds didn't have the power to enact the legislation referred to in my previous post.

If you want to "go constitutional" to support what happened in this instance, you'd be infinitely better off using the 14th Amendment.

9. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not a lawyer. Apparently, you are. I question why they even bother teaching the Constitution in law school, since it's essentially ignored anyway.

Just because the Federal Government chooses to ignore the Constitution when it's not convienent for them to follow it doesn't mean it's right, or legal - at least in my opinion.

Just like, at least in my opinion, Justice Stone's Fourth Footnote is wrong by establishing a presumption of Constitutionality for Federal Legislation and places the burden of proof on normal citizens to disprove the Constitutionality of legislation, rather than the government having the burden to prove that their restriction of liberty is constitutional.

I also disagree with his assertion that judicial review is limited to amendments 1-10 and 14.

Especially nowadays, since over the past 80 or so years, the Federal government has essentially completely ignored the limits set forth in Article I, Section 8 - which are essentially made solid limits by the 10th Amendment - I feel that we need Judicial Review applied to the WHOLE Constitution, not just the parts that politicians can manipulate to get more votes.

What's the point of the 10th Amendment when the Federal government essentially does whatever the hell it wants, even things not outlined in Article I Section 8 as their reserved powers (which, due to the 10th Amendment, are the ONLY things they are allowed to do?

As if all this is not bad enough, they've essentially taken to currently completely ignoring Amendments I, IV, V (recent eminent domain decision)... just to start.

So, no, I don't think that law is necessary.

What does the 14th Amendment say? This should be covered under that.

Oh, that's right, the Supreme Court (for some reason) has seen it fit to limit the application of this Amendment - again, I guess it's only good to enforce liberties that will make you popular or consolidate the power of your political party of choice, ignoring the fact that the Constitution is there to protect people like you and I.

Hm, because the 14th amendment couldn't possibly apply to, I do not know, gay marriage or anything, right? No, we only use it to defend minorities... I mean... racial minorities.... or sexual minorities (except gays, of course) that we feel bad about mistreating in the past.

And you know, why would we use the 9th amendment to invalidate a law. Pesky liberty, always keeping us from, oh, I do not know, getting warrants after the fact, or wiretapping phones, any of that other stuff. You know, because there's not already amendments against that stuff, that are further reinforced by the 9th amendment....

But, you know, again, that damned Constitution, protecting people from tyranny and stuff.

Not to mention things like the FAA, FCC, FDA, CIA, FBI, etc, so on and so forth.

Not that I disagree with the usefulness of the central management of some duties these organizations perform... but... you know.... that pesky Constitution again. Much better to blackmail states into ignoring their Constitutionally protected rights.

Because it's OK when the Federal Government uses blackmail..... but for everyone else, it's a crime.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I did take 16 years of English lessons, so I think I can read, and I do have a grasp of the English language, so I think, you know, I can comprehend...

Not to mention the fact that unlike the members of the SCOTUS, I can apparently research documents authored by the people who were involved in the creation of our nation to establish... mmm.. intent... instead of just pulling shit out of my nice person because I'm more concerned with forwarding my own agenda or that of the political affiliation I have then upholding my oath... you know.

I'm sure I've made an nice person out of myself somewhere in the above rant, because again, you are a lawyer, I am not, but please feel free to impart any knowledge you have to offer. I'm very interested in discussing this with someone who is a lawyer - I think I could certainly learn a thing or two, and maybe expand your perspective, too.

Modified: Correction of various errors due to writing while tired.

10. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

And people think men have a hard time hitting the urinals just imagine ;)

(now we have gotten down to potty humor)

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Some of these arguments show that what people think "out of be" just ain't so. Schools are ALLOWED to have one sex sports, they just have to have opportunity for the other as well. I suspect that this school will be able to show they have a BOYS baseball/football/basketball/on and on team and very few GIRLS sports. This bowling sport team is a way to "level the field".

I have NO DOUBT that his is an effort to embarass the school, make a point, or provide excitement for a BORED young man.

Our lack of common sense in the country is more related to TOO MUCH THEORY AND NOT ENOUGH PRACTICALITY, than it is to boys and girls joining each others sports teams.

WHAT is so wrong with same sex sports? Can't we have some "our own time", "our own place", so long as one doesn't take away from the other?

Fer cryin' out loud!!!!!

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Why would you have NO DOUBT?
    There's nothing in this article to indicate anything other than that the boy has a genuine interest in participating on a bowling team at his school, which currently has a bowling team.

Baseball/football/basketball have very little in common with bowling.
    They require very different skills and abilities.

13. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't understand your motivation against "testing the waters". The fact is that if something is unconstitutional, it should be fought, regardless if you personally have been hurt by it (or, if apparently in your opinion, their level of injury isn't high enough).

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Second problem...Using a news story to be your "information". I have no doubt because my job requires me to read lots of case law. I am also aware of the history of Title IX or VII or all thouse other Roman numerals that I remain interested in. Know ing how public agencies react to the mere threat of a lawsuit, if it was true that schools HAD to have identical sports for boys/girls or let boys/girls join all girls/boys stuff, then you would already have lots of it and this wouldn't even be a story.

Where did you get your knowledge that "these sports have different skills" is even a REQUIREMENT. That is a specious statement because it means NOTHING.

My point was, and you verified it, we (the public) make assumptions about what theings ought to be, and they are not!!!

15. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not to mention the fact that he has a perfectly valid point.

Last time I checked, challenges against the Constitutionality weren't limited to people who only have motivations that are acceptable to Schmika or people like him.

Why do people insist on injecting their own spin into the Constitution and what it says? I'd rather have car bombs going off in shopping malls every day then live under tyranny and repression! Why can't we give people freedom and punsh those who abuse it? Why do people think that we need to be treated like children by our own government, that it needs to protect us from ourselves, or restrict liberty in some misguided attempt to protect us from each other?

Laws against murder, rape, etc have been around for ages. People still do it. Laws are only deterrents against law abiding citizens. Criminals, by definition, don't give a shit. The only thing you accomplish by nanny governmenting is restricting the freedom our forefathers fought and died for... and that we, for some reason, see fit to try and force it upon the rest of the world.

I'm amazed the founding fathers' corpses haven't appeared above ground yet, they must be spinning in their graves so fast.

Can someone please explain this mindset to me?? Why do people look for ways to restrict freedom every chance they get? Who are you to tell me how much freedom I deserve? The Constitution is plain as day, especially if read with a full historical background in terms of language, culture, and with supporting documents - just like the Bible doesn't always MEAN what it says in translation... without contextualization (both historical and cultural) it can easily be interpreted to mean things it doesn't.

16. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I direct you again to Title 29, so generously provided by tag:
    The point is that this law only providing protection to an "underpriviliged" class of people is unconstitutional and therefore illegal.

You can't force integration one way and not the other.

What if I said that there was a white and a black bowling team, and black folks were allowed onto white teams, but white people couldn't go onto black teams.

Does that make it more relevant to you?

And anyway, as I see it, Constitutionally, no matter how you look at it.... if you argue Amendment X and Section I Article VIII, the Feds don't have any authority to make this law anyway. In conjunction with Amendment IX, just because the right to integration of sports teams isn't specifically in the Constitution doesn't mean that right doesn't exist and isn't reserved to the people. Adding more fun to the pot is that Amendment XIV says quite plainly "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I think that covers it.

Not to mention the fact that the Illinois State Constitution says this:

Article I, Section XVII: The equal protection of the laws shall not be denied or
    abridged on account of sex by the State or its units of lo-
    cal government and school districts.

Article I, Section XIV: The enumeration in this Constitution of certain rights shall
    not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the
    individual citizens of the State.

So they're managing to violate two Constitutions at once.

If you argue that Amendment IX doesn't apply to states (which I think is a specious argument... the people have rights retained from both the states and the Federal government... I think it applies to both), then Amendment X with Section I Article VIII and Amendment XIV make the argument extremely well, even without Amendment IX.

17. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

We do have lots of it.
    This is happening and has been at least since I was in high school (~30years ago) and I am surprised that his school is acting this way.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, you are, and have been, interjecting the issue of whether Congress even had the authority to enact this legislation which, IMHO, has resulted in a rather unappetizing stew of allegedly discriminatory conduct and federalism.

Regardless, if you want to argue that the 10th Amendment serves as an almost absolute limitation on congressional authority to enact legislation such as Title IX pursuant to the Spending Clause, fine. I think that's really an uphill battle, though.

19. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, I think you're absolutely right that it's an uphill battle. Congress has taken it upon itself over the past 80 years to make a huge power grab (and the Supreme Court hasn't been helping much)....

Not to mention that I think the "unrestricted power" that Congress believes it is given in Article I, Section VIII, Clause I is a load of bull. It very clearly says

It doesn't say ANYTHING similar to: "Note: This clause may be used to enact otherwise completely and utterly unconstitutional legislation and force it upon states and the citizens thereof who otherwise you have no authority over by reading some wacky bullshit into this clause that isn't actually there and completely violates the common sense and logic present in teh rest of the constitution... not to mention completely contradictory to the spirit of the rest of the constitution, and not supported by any historical documents written by the authors of the Constitution."

Just like the Commerce Clause doesn't come with anything like: "Note: This clause may be used to force multiple states to follow regulations and legislation that they otherwise wouldn't be subject to, but because of Roosevelt's shenanigans with Court Packing in the 30s, the SCOTUS somehow lost its SCROTUM and now pretty much has totally bitched out and lets the other branches do pretty much whatever the hell they want unless it's really, really, really blatent, or if some political wag gets appointed and decides that instead of paying attention his oath, he's going to pull a ruling out of his nice person, because he's decided to become a legislator and/or a party and/or corporate bitch."

But, just because it's an uphill battle doesn't mean we shouldn't try.