1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boy this car likes the warmth I Blocked front grille to experiment

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by hoarybat, Oct 25, 2012.

1. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Took me three tries to email it to myself, now I have to wait until we get our next bill to find out if that's part of our plan or not. At the moment, the only other method I have for getting pix off the phone is to use a chip converter at home.

2. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it an iPhone? If it is, download the app WiFi Album Free.

Description

WiFi Album allows you to easily transfer photos and videos between iPhone,iPad,iTouch,iMac and PC. Transfer photos and videos over WiFi, no cables or extra software required.

In this version, iPhone to iPhone connecting function added! you can find other wifi album iPhone around of you, view or download items from their shared album directly.

To manage your album in computer, Just start the app and enter the displayed address into the address bar of your browser. Works with any computer that has a modern browser (like desktop or portable computers, iPads, or even an other iPhone) and is on the same wifi network as your iPhone, iPod or iPad.

- View albums on PC directly
    - Easy put photos/videos on iPod/iPhone/iPad without iTunes

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, it isn't any kind of smart phone, but thanks for trying to help. I prefer my phones to be more on the old school side, I don't want a computer in my pocket. It's an LG-A something.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to be old school on the phones but somehow got into the smart phone craze. Started with a Windows phone which worked for what it was, moved to an iPhone 4 which worked for what it was, then got really smart and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note. Dang I don't even carry my tablet around anymore as my phone does all my tablet did :)

Did you go with the multi colored blockers or sumthin else? :)

Mike

5. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right now, I'm just sticking with the kinda charcoal grey. Haven't had the time to investigate more colorful options, maybe this weekend.

WE0H likes this.
  6. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's encouraging- did we get a consensus on where the inverter radiator is (behind top grill or behind bottom)? It looks like you have decided to block bottom. I too am in warmer weather and want to do a partial block, but am not seeing consensus on which to do?

7. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Now, that looks better than cramming a long piece in there. Do you think the 3/4 will hold on ok? I can get either. Thought I read 1/2 was what folks were using. I may do it just like you did if it looks like it will stay in there.
    Thanks for the picture.
    Dan

8. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at your's again, I see you are wedging it in there, not straddling the bars. 3/4 would be a better fit, like you bought, I think.
    Dan

9. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am wedging the 3/4" in small chunks of 4.75 inches each. So far, none have come loose or fallen out, so I think it's going to work out just fine. I'm cutting the remaining pieces and installing them today.

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hang on... that small amount of grill blocking in your photo is making that large a difference in your mileage? Woah... what kind of temperatures are you having at the moment?

11. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Could have been a fluke, Rob, I am continuing to monitor mileage changes and will keep reporting back. Mornings are in the mid-50s, days in the low 70s. Weatherman is predicting that today is the last day of "warmth" we will have for some time, so the next week or so will be the real tell.

Ryephile likes this.
  12. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Then again, I have also come to the conclusion that I got the opposite of a lemon in my car, not just a car without issues but a car that works exactly as it is meant to if not better.

WE0H likes this.
  13. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Yes, well, 50-70s describes most of our winter apart from the odd colder spell, but if you can get improvements even at that point I may have to think about it next winter. I'd just been sitting here in my temperate zone enjoying this thread and amusing myself at these crazy cold climate ways. :cool:

RocMills likes this.
  14. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, prior to the onset of the cold weather, I was getting 80+ MPG on my daily post office trip. After the cold hit, it took effort to reach 68-70 MPG. With full lower grill blocking today I got 78.1 MPG on the same trip, no extra effort, battery still half full on arrival. Obviously, more trips are required to tell the true improvement, but I am satisfied that my three dollar investment is paying off.

15. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, I think I will try the same thing. That looks pretty good stuck in there and not as noticable. Will 3 6 foot sticks do it?
    Dan

16. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, you need way less than that... especially if you are only going to do the bottom portion. 18 pieces at 4.75" each (3 rows of 6 pieces). I made them a little wide intentionally to help with the wedging in.

I overbought because I didn't realize that the two end slots in each row are not actually open.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't bother to just fill the open gaps, just place a continuous tube across the whole width. It's also doing a little aerodynamic improvement, and insulating the engine bay. One long strip is just less hassle, less chance of coming loose.

18. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One strip needs to be nicked repeatedly though because there are little bars separating each segment. For me, it was actually much easier to use the bits than one long piece that had to be nicked in precisely the right places. Others might feel differently.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends how much those little vertical bars protrude. I'm not really familiar with C, but with reg Prius the vertical bars are recessed a bit, enough that you can just press it it on the tube indents a little at the vert's. Velcro strips around the horizontal slat and the tube secure it better, one velcro near each end is enough.

20. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I tried just wedging one long piece, and it seemed far too likely that it would come off - just didn't fit tight enough. I did not want to use glue or Velcro as I want to be able to easily remove them without leaving anything behind.