1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bra

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RunninDover

RunninDover New Member

I have a black '06, and would like put a bra on it. I think it looks great on Galaxee's '05. I can't justify the high cost of getting 3M film installed.

From the numerous bra threads I've read here , '06 owners definitely want to make sure they purchase a bra designed specifically for the '06. -- lot's of complaints about trying to get the old bra models properly attached.

Does anyone here know if '06-specific bras are on the market yet?

2. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

I bought the OEM front end mask (bra sounds to "girly" for me :D ) initially for my 2006. It did fit well and looked nice, however, they are and it was quite abrasive. I had gone for a drive on the coast of Washington and without even leaving the pavement I was somehow able to get sand under the mask. I had thankfully detailed it well with Zaino and it did not leave any scratches that could be seen with the naked eye. After that experience I opted for the 3M clear adhesive film. I sold my front end mask on EBay and have not regretted it. The 3M product is almost seamless and for more effective.

My intention was to use the mask for protection and it doesn't do that very well. It is more aesthetic than anything else.

I was told that the mask must be warmed up for several hours to allow for it to stretch over the front end. It did fit it like a glove that much is true.

Good luck.

3. thejq

thejq Junior Member

I have installed the OEM front end mask on my 2006 Prius (B Red), and really liked the look. The hood piece fits perfectly, but the bumper piece was designed for the 05 model (I think). To install it, I had to remove the black plastic moulding below the bumper, and reinstall it over the hooks after attaching the mask. In some sense, it's better than just hooking it like the 05 models, because the mask is tighter and much harder to be removed or (almost impossible) stolen.

Where I live (SoCal), it doesn't rain much, so I don't get much dirt under the mask at all. The hood piece is easy to remove and clean after a rain. I leave the bumper piece on even after a rain, because it's so tight, dirt doesn't get in easily and the mask doesn't move at all.

The best part, it even protect the paint from scratches in a SMALL accident (eg. mall parking lots), all for about $120.

Like you, I find it hard to justify the cost for installing clear bra. $500-$1,000 (depending on the area) for a professional installation is almost the same as repainting the front end plus a complete clear coat.

4. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

If you call around you can find some good prices on the 3M film. I had my 06 done for $400. This included the hood, bumper, fenders, side mirrors, trailing edge of the doors, door cups e.g. behind the handle, and the top of the back bumper by the hatch.

I live in So Cal. I had a bra on my old Honda and it was such a pain that I finally stopped using it. I've found that the 3M product MUCH more to my liking. It works for me but your mileage may vary :)

Ken

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I want to back that up. I took mine off after about SIX months last night. I had accumulated tons of grit and dirt. The front end of the car looked so bad, I said to myself, "God, it's ruined!".

But guess what? It all cleaned off with almost no trace. Before I learned about Zaino on PC, I had put two coats of Nu-Finish on the front end before I put the bra on. It saved the day. All the black smudges that come from leaving the bra on too long without cleaning came off.

Now I've put two coats of Zaino on before cleaning the bra and re-attaching it.

I'm convinced that even if you got a couple of micro-scratches under a bra, it's STILL going to look much better after 60K mi. than if you had nothing on the front end.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm inclined to think I'll try to get a 3M film put on the hood, and stop using the hood bra. For one thing, paint nicks go farther up on the hood than the bra covers. I've got about 20 chips above my bra in 44K mi. I think this would be a good compromise. Galaxee, if you read this, would you agree?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i only have 2 hood chips in 13.6k mi that i recall, and that includes a couple of 1000+ mile trips.

no micro scratches on the paint under the bra on mine, but you're right there is a little soot-looking stuff near the wheel wells. but honestly the edges were the only dirty parts. removed mine about 3 weeks ago (was it 3 weeks ago? recently anyway) to have that detail done when my car got oversprayed, had it on for around 6 mo anyway. got it back, not a trace of scratches or anything on the front.

i keep mine on 24/7, car parked outside in the rain/sun/whatever, don't remove frequently to wash except the hood piece once a month. the whole thing comes off for a few coats of zaino twice a year.

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

One thing I like about galaxee is that she seems to lurk on every thread. :lol:

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i like to call it omnipresent. due to omniprocrastination. ;)

now really. i have this huge thing to write.

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which one did you get, 3M or one from one of the new manufacturers? I understand that the 3M product yellows in harsh sunlight after about 3 years. B)

10. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Ken, do you mind naming the business and installer who did all that work for $400? And was it good quality work?

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ues one on mine during love bug season... Otherwise the front end is still firm and I have not noticed any sagging yet.. The next car will have the silicone implants the clear bra made by 3-M... :D

12. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Wow, only $400 for 3M film??!?

The going rate in my area (S.F. Bay Area) is $550-850. That was just way toooo much for me. I bought a kit from eBay and installed it myself. I muffed up a couple of small areas but overall I'm very satisfied with my install. And since the kit was only $175 I figured out I could give it a couple more tries if need be and still be money ahead.

13. hybrid4earth

hybrid4earth New Member

I hope it is OK to re-post this here. I ordered the clear paint protection kit for my new '06 Prius for the front bumper, part of hood and front fenders as well as rear view mirrors. Unfortunately when I had the car shipped, there was already a couple of paint chips :( (I got a great deal under MSRP, and paid for a cheap shipping company and did not notice until I washed the car :rolleyes: ), so I did not want to pay the ~$150 professional installation charge we were quoted. We tried to do the passenger mirror ourselves, but with no window tint or film installation experience, gave up in frustration. There is enough material left on the sheets to cut a new mirror section if desired (old pattern will be included).

I paid $40 on Ebay for the kit, but will sell for best offer and I will pay priority mail shipping in the continental US (outside US, we can negotiate). Please PM me if interested.

Thanks,
    Stacy

14. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Call Sundimmers in Van Nuys 818-780-8181 and ask for Joe. Joe was wonderful to work with, answered all my questions, non pushy, and paid attention to details to make sure the job was done right. Joe also did my Formula One Pinnacle tinting that I'm also very happy with. Joe has done a few cars from PC so tell him you got his name from here.

To answer the question, yes this was 3M film. Had 3M all over the material in the plotter :) This was cut from a pattern and not hand cut. He was nice enough to explain how it was installed, that there were seams, why there were seams, and where they were located. Is this film going to stop everything, no but I believe it will stop a very high percentage of the chip I got in my Civic.

As for the film turning yellow in 3 years, I'm not too worried as it has a 5 year warranty.

Ken

15. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Stacy,

I'm guessing for $40 the film was not 3M but another brand. If it was 3M boy that is much cheaper than I've ever seen. From what I've read, 3M is 8 mils thick and some of the cheaper stuff is thinner and can be harder to install. Might explain why you had such a hard time.

Ken

16. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it online for $450 including rear bumper guard and lights. I installed it myself and learned the hard way just how difficult it is to do. It took me approx 6 hours with some assistance from my wife. It looks good, but I'm sure a professional could do a better job (and I'm reasonably handy). The small pieces are easy, the hood is work, and the bumper is a b***h! My advice is pay to have it installed.

17. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the 3M stuff because I'm from Minnesota. OK, maybe not. It's been my past experience that 3M makes quality products that last a long time. However, the film is not 100% colorless. The 8 mil stuff is next to invisible, however my 14 mil film (lights, mirrors) is the slightest bit yellow. I think it would not be noticeable on any other color except white. I commute at high speed, at night, on a busy divided highway with lots of trucks. If it yellows after 3 years then I'll be very pleased to replace it with new, the stuff has already proved its worth against bugs and truck debris.

18. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This was a 3m kit?

19. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Yes, the eBay kit I bought for $175 was genuine 3M paint-protection film. I posted some comments about installing it in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13753

20. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

yup $400 for a 3M install at Sundimmers in Van Nuys. Just tell' em you know about priuschat and the price. Joe is a cool guy.