1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bra

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, Mar 25, 2006.

1. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would appear that many like the 3m product. It is expensive. The only certified applier for miles around would not give me a price but I assume in the 5-600. range. He also said that he would not apply till May when it is warmer in the midwest. So until then or maybe forever what about the black oem bra. Many like this one and it does, at times, permit stuff to get trapped underneath? Then that is ok if you use nu-finish or Zaino. How do you get Zaino? I have not found those threads yet!
    So as you can see, short term, I am a little confused here. The black oem bra is looking good for the immediate future. Maybe I just need to check it once in a while till I make the big plunge to the 3m!

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 27 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]231060[/snapback]</div>
    Micro scratches can't be seen by the naked eye. They are "micro" by definition. They are only on the outer most layer(s) of the paint. You can't see them but what they do is make the paint look dull by deflecting light away. If you get enough of them the paint will look old and dull. It is also repairable with a good detail that includes polishing. I'm certain that waxing it good twice a year will protect the paint well however 3 or 4 waxes per year are recommended for many areas where sand and salts are present. I'm not saying not to use a bra, I'm just saying they take proper maintenance just like any other part of your car. I own one too and prefer the chance of dull paint that is fairly easy to repair vs the chips that are not.

Here is a picture of my Mustang when it was 3 years old with the bra. I removed this for every wash and waxed it 4 times a year. Not a bit of damage under the bra. But every time I removed it I also had to clean debree clinging to the cloth backing of the bra.

[attachmentid=2755]

3. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bought the black vinyl bra from my Toytoa dealer. It was not the easiest thing to install, but it IS on and looks GREAT. The vinyl bras have some padding on the inside which gives a little cushion effect to the bouncing pebbles. It cost about $125 or so, and just remember to make sure the bra is warm before you try to install it.

4. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ Mar 25 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]229969[/snapback]</div>
    So after reading all of these replies I compromised. I ordered the 3m system, including the mirrors, and front bumper and an extended hood (22 inches).
    Wish me luck installing it!

5. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

I purchased LLumar Paint Protection Film for my clear bra due to their warranty.

CPFilms Inc. warrants LLUMAR PAINT PROTECTION FILM against cracking, peeling, bubbling or turning yellow, for as long as the original purchaser retains ownership of the vehicle. The warranty is valid as long as the installation is performed by an authorized LLumar/CPFilms Inc. installer in accordance with manufacturer's recommended installation procedures.

I looked at 3M's warranty...

3M® warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — or five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris. Some installers may choose to offer, on their own behalf, different or additional warranties or remedies, beyond the warranty and limited remedies offered by 3M®.

I also did get a Kit for the headlamps and foglamps of a much thicker material and from what I understand, it is a 3M product called, STONGARD according to the dealer who installed it but he had to order it as he only carry's Llumar products and there was no comparable product from Llumar at the time, but from what I've found Llumar (Gila Distributors) now markets one.

Here's the link to their warranty for their Headlamp film.

LLumar Headlamp Warranty Link

I see that 3M now labels their Paint Protection, both Clear Bra and Stongard.

6. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv @ Apr 4 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]234580[/snapback]</div>
    Ok that is nice. Did you install this yourself and how did it go?
    Thank you.

7. nottagasguzzler

nottagasguzzler New Member

[attachmentid=2858]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv @ Apr 3 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]234580[/snapback]</div>
    I had 3M product put on my car in December. The plastic on the foglights now looks scorched. Should I take the car back to the business that put this on? Could this be a fire hazard?

8. gostozo

gostozo New Member

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ...just to tell you my experience with....

........www.coastaletech.com

...i ordered mud flaps and bra for my 2006. I was quickly contacted by coastaltech and they said they did not have the 2006 bra. They let me council my complete order and i felt real good about the experience. (they didn’t try to sell me a 2005 bra for my 2006)

....also, i thought the vehicles where the same design

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just installed the OEM Bra on my 07 prius and I think it looks great. Just make sure you leave it in the sun for while before trying to install it otherwise its not easy to stretch this material at room temp. It took me a little over a half hour to install the OEM bra, since this was my first time, It probably wouldn't take me more the 15 mins now that I know where everything goes. I've had the 3M clear bra put on my 07 Camry and it also is a great product and its alot more expensive. I paid over $500 for the 3m clear bra and little over $100 for the OEM Bra. The advantage of the clear bra is you don't have to do anything except wash it when it get bugs and dirt on it. The bad thing is it has to be put on correctly otherwise the bubble will show and doesn't look very good, another point is the flim is pretty thin so it not going to proctect the bumper as well as the thicker OEM Bra, that why I decided to go with the OEM Bra this time. The OEM bra requires alittle more maintainance, like removing it every couple months for cleaning both the bra and the car and waxing the surface where the OEM bra covers. So my vote is to go with an OEM bra instead of the Clear bra.

Wayne

10. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    -

Attached Files:

11. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lookin' good, Wayne! The black bra looks nice on the white, IMHO.

I've had mine for about a year, and take it off only for the car's semi-annual Zaino treatment. I did that a couple of weeks ago, and the finish beneath the bra looked just as good as or better (because of no rock chips) than what's left exposed.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 10 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]438976[/snapback]</div>
    My 07 hycam's front end has not begun to sag yet sooooo ive been taking her out bra-less.... :lol:

I checked on the availibility and all they have at the moment is a hood edge protecter kinda like a thong for your hood ...

13. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That looks great!

I'm seeing my dealer tonight anyway, just might have to get one. I don't have any chips yet, and I like the look. I'll post pics of mine (magnetic grey) after the install.

14. tydaco

tydaco New Member

I had planned to put a bra on my new Prius but the dearler talked me out of it. He claimed that it would need to be removed and dried anytime it got wet. He also stated that he had a customer use one and it discolored the paint in less than a year.

15. robincx

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wayne, I was at my local dealer tonight and asked about OEM bras, they didn't have any. Who manufactured yours?

thanks, Robin

16. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Wayne
    Did your 1007 have the same lip as my 2006. I think they may have removed it. The lip made the bra installation difficult because for a true fit you had to remove it and install the bra under it and re install.

17. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 10 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]439602[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Robin,

The vinyl bra is an OEM bra. You can order them from Delanne Toyota. I think I spelled that right? :p

Goodluck.

Wayne

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 10 2007, 05:13 AM) [snapback]438976[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Jim,

I should have gotten one for my 07 Camry instead of the Clear Bra.

Wayne

18. robincx

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Wayne, I appreciate it, it looks great on your car.

19. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ May 10 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]439617[/snapback]</div>

I am not sure if your talking about the black lip under the lower airdam if so yes the 07 have that, the only thing I did is shave the center clip so the it will clip underneath the plastic other than that I didn't have any problem installing the bra, you just have to strech it a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 11 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]440107[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Robin,

I did spell it wrong here is the right spelling Deland Toyota :eek:

Wayne

20. tnymntna

tnymntna New Member

Here in Kansas city area, they can install the 3M paint protector clear "bra" for $259(18" up hood), or get the extended coverage (24" up the hood) for $289, and they will tint your car for FREE with there online coupon.($199 value for tint)

The place is called Auto Glass & Tint Shop. The coupon expires on may 31, 07. I'm getting mine done this comming week! GREAT DEAL in my book!!!