1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake ABS and (!) light on. Actuator or something else?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joeman200, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

Just as many others have posted, I have the BRAKE, ABS, and (!) lights illuminated on my dash. After some searching online (mainly here), it seems that the 2nd gen is known for issues with the brake actuator (to bad it's not 2017 still :(). Before I potentially fork over a lot of money (or time as I'd like prefer to attempt a DIY), I wanted to rule out other possible problems.

Here's some additional info:

• I stopped by O'Reilly's and had them read the car codes. It came up with C1344 - Malfunction in the hydraulic system rear left. This is inline with the flashing codes I got: 65 (!) and 42 ABS. (as I found here: http://www.gwzz.com/tmp/Prius-RepairManual-2005.pdf)

• The 12v reads 12.4 using a multi-meter with the car off (not ideal, right?).

• I do not hear the actuator constantly running, just every once in a while for about 5 seconds. I did, however, loose / had extremely decreased braking power after having been parked for over an hour and when backing up. This lasted a few seconds before regaining brakes.

• I inspected the RL wheel and found the drum to have some scoring, it's not perfectly smooth. Additionally, I have about 1.5mm on one pad, and 2.5mm on the other. ​

So to restate my question, how can I determine that it's the actuator and not something else? Could it be something to do with the wheel such as the brakes, drum, some sensor or the bearings?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joe

2. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another symptom, rear left brake drum was cool to the touch after driving indicating those brakes aren't working.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like something else to me. maybe actuator related, but not classic symptoms. i would get the online service manual for troubleshooting

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is good to check that you have a good 12 V supply, so kudos for that. However, the only thing this indicates is you could do with charging the 12 V battery up back to full, otherwise of no other significance.
    I agree with bisco, something else. You have a code for something else, and nothing you have described indicates a problem with the brake actuator.

There are 5 INF (or detail) codes associated with the code you did get, C1344 – 581, 582, 583, 584 and 585 – that will help narrow down where to concentrate your efforts.

DTC C1341/C1342/C1343/C1344 (Blink codes 62/63/64/65) Diagnostic trouble shooting tree.

Hope that is of some help.

5. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After looking through the manual, I went ahead and ordered a mini VCI with techstream. That should give me the INF codes I hope, and I'll need it anyway to bleed the brakes. Manual says it could be air in the system or junk in a solenoid (before moving on to the actuator).

#5 Joeman200, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  6. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else seems to have the same symptoms. I used techstream to confirm that I had a malfunction in the left-rear brake, and used techstream to bleed the brakes. My LR brake had a ton of air in it. I reset the codes and had no issues for 2 weeks. My prius has the MFD issue. I had a rain storm and the MFD failed and I rode around without it working for a few days. After resetting the MFD (battery plug), the lights were on again. I repeated the process and there was now a little bit of air in the LR brake. I haven't had any issues since. My guess is somewhere
    there is a minor leak in the LR brake system.

Raytheeagle, bisco and davecook89t like this.