1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, ABS, Traction, VCS lights after engine wash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by randomuserprius08, May 29, 2023.

1. randomuserprius08

randomuserprius08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm making this post because I had an issue occur after lightly washing my engine bay on my 2008 Prius with 140k miles. I spent hours researching and my goal is to compile this into a simple thread :) I resolved the issue by performing a "Linear Valve Offset".

After washing the engine bay I started the car and was presented by the brake light, VCS, ABS, (!), lights. The codes are the following after putting in a paper clip to diagnose the flashing codes.

VCS - 45
    ABS - 42
    (!) - 95, 66

I initially scanned the car with a Snap-On scanner and it came back with no codes, I then attempted to perform a linear valve offset after with the Snap-On scanner and received a error indicating the scanner could not communicate with the ECU (i jumped to doing this offset adaptation after coming across other threads with similar codes i figurd this would be an option). I then went to a family members shop and used a higher end Autel scanner and realized that the OBD2 port was not powering the tail unit of the Autel scanner. After a quick diagnosis we found a blown fuse for the OBD2 port under the driver side dash, it was a 7.5 amp fuse. After changing the fuse the check engine light illuminated and the big red triangle illuminated. I then re-scanned the car and got codes for the ABS, Hybrid battery, including a code for the linear valve offset, i cleared all codes. I then Started and followed the prompts for the linear valve offset, upon completion all fault dashboard lights went away resolving the problem.

My theory is when I washed the engine bay water hit the harness for the ABS/Actuator unit causing it to freak out, possibly someone making it short the OBDII port?

Hopefully this helps someone who's in a similar situation or has the same codes.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ((!)) 66 = C1345 and has 4 INF codes 501, 502, 503, or 504 and these indicate FR, FL, RR, and RL (respectively). The DTC itself is saying the value of initialization of the linear solenoid valve and calibration for the (FR/FL/RR/RL) wheel is not stored. The particular corner of the car is indicated by the INF code.

So performing the initialization of the linear solenoid valve and calibration procedure would be what would turn this code off.

((!)) 95 = C1203 which indicates there is an ECM communication circuit malfunction.

This likely was because the 7.5 A DLC3 (OBD-II) fuse was blown. Maybe something you did cleaning the engine bay caused that, and maybe it was a coincidence. In any case, replacing the fuse would be what would turn this code off. My only concern would be what caused this fuse to blow in the first place. If the fuse does not blow again, we can only wonder. If it does blow again, there will be more diagnoses needed.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any time you spray water into the engine bay, or around the dash (zealous interior detailers, window tinters), you're asking for trouble. Just don't do it. If the engine bay is bugging you, compressed air and brushes/rags are the way to go.