1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake abs vsc lights on after 12v battery replacedreplace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Johnms2011, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Johnms2011

Johnms2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After replacing 12v battery today on 2006 Prius (118k with Toyota HV replacement _80k) I am still getting the red brake light, yellow brake, abs, & vcs warnin lights. None of the following ck s/tactics seemed to work. New delco battery reads 12.9v at terminal. Trying the suggested tactic of alternately setting-releasing manual brake followed by stepping on brake several cycles made no change. Disconnecting negative terminal of new 12v battery then reconnecting resulted in no change.

Any thoughts would b welcome. Thx John from “a cool 118 degree phoenix :)

2. Johnms2011

Johnms2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    (Continued) I think it is important to add that none of brake related warning lights came on until the apparent failure of the old 12v which resulted in all the warning lights coming on and shortly thereafter the car not starting.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car is starting and you can drive it, it's usually not the fault of the 12v battery. Many here have suggested that to be the magical fix when you see warning lights, but it's rarely a fix for anything other than a truly dead battery.

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I guess you were hoping that replacing the 12V would solve your problem, but it is always a mistake to spend money on something that "might" solve a problem without digging deeper into what is really causing it.

With the combination of lights glowing on your dash, the paper clip method of analyzing what is wrong (described here) costs nothing and will point you in the right direction, even if it is not a quick fix. (Unfortunately, many Prius owners seem to believe that their problem can be solved merely by connecting a paper clip to the right pins in the OBDII port, but this method is really only for finding what is wrong, not solving the problem).

Best of luck, whatever you find.

5. Johnms2011

Johnms2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah. Problem solved. And a thx to those who quickly replied. Appreciated.

SOLUTION——this morning a very helpful Autozone loaned me a Innova 3100Lat which very painlessly scanned cleared/reset codes (eg brake,abs, vsc) . This seems to have taken care of the problem based on initial test drives.

thx DIY is much more fun when things go halfway right

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The advice is good, but that particular thread makes a kind of confused show of how to do it. After placing the jumper wire and turning the car ON, be sure to count the blinks on all the dash lights that are blinking, and make sure to write them down organized by which codes were blinking on which lights. They are listed in separate tables in the repair manual, and some of the two-digit blink codes overlap; you get the wrong idea if you look one up in the wrong table.

The goofy thing in the thread that was linked above was that the person only posted the 45 that blinked on the traction light—which is a code that means "look at the ECB light for the codes that matter", but no codes from the ECB light were included in the post. :)

davecook89t likes this.
  7. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry, I was looking for a YouTube video, but all I could find was one where the guy connected the pins properly, but then didn't understand why the lights didn't magically disappear.:eek:

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I'm getting that sense. @Johnms2011: were the lights on prior to 12 volt swap?

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm guessing that's what the 'still' meant in that sentence, though it wasn't clear from just the thread title....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Johnms2011

Johnms2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Although the problem has been solved the answer to ur question is yes. Prior to the replacement of the old 12v battery ALL the warning lights were on including the “death triangle” and the old battery was carrying a charge between 11.7-~12.0v. As posted a reset/clearing of the old codes after 12v battery replace fly apparently did the job. Thx

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What were the codes you found before you cleared them? I'm having the same problem with those lights, except none of my scanners show any codes in the system.

But my ScanGuage gives me an option to "force clear", even though there are no codes shown. I don't know what that means and I don't want to mess with that until I get to find what codes might be hidden in memory after my new Techstream gear I ordered comes in next month.

But if it is harmless for me to try it now I'd like to try it and get my car back on the road.

#11 priusrecon, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's because none of your scanners are capable of talking to the ecu's that have codes.

AFAIK ScanGauge only communicates with the ECM (engine computer).

Techstream is a good plan.

Another option is to look at the sticky thread at the top of the Technical Discussion forum to read about app and OBD device reviews.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.