1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, ABS, VSC, Warning lights all 4 on (No Check Engine)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MME, May 23, 2019.

1. MME

MME New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving out of Costco parking lot, and all four lights came on at the same time:
    Brake, VSC, ABS, Warning (!).

Car drives ok, but definitely gas mileage has gone down (~50 mpg ---> ~40 mpg). Also another symptom that I noticed is sometimes when I first start the car I hear a long beep noise. Lastly, occasionally when backing out of the garage, it feels like lost brake until I release pedal and push again.

Any useful input or similar experience is highly appreciated.

2008 Prius, 140k miles.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We can offer more help once you post the trouble codes. People who have a laptop with Techstream can get the codes just by plugging in and asking, but there is also a way to get them just using a short piece of wire to jump between two pins (Tc and CG) and counting light blinks, which works in a pinch when you have no code reader handy. There are multiple threads here with the details.

Things are narrowed down a little because there are a lot of possible trouble codes, but only some of them set off the long-beep alarm. It's quite possible you'll end up swapping the brake actuator, but there's nothing wrong with reading the codes first and going through the steps in the Repair Manual to rule out simple causes first, just because the actuator replacement is kind of a PITA.

Skibob and m.wynn like this.
  3. MME

MME New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect, I found the TechStream plug-in and software CD on Amazon which I just order.

Hopefully,I will be able to pay the codes once I have it on Saturday.

Thanks again for your reply.

4. MME

MME New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to connect to the car with TechStream today and these are the codes that came up:
    C0205 , C1241 , C1256 , C1300 , C1391

It's my first time ever using TechStream, and I think I accidently pressed a button that cleared all the warning lights from dashboard. To my surprise, the car is not giving more normal like it used to before the lights first came up.

Screenshot of codes attached. Any input it help if much appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No CEL b/c no emission related codes.

upload_2019-5-27_8-16-49.png

Unfortunately you cleared the codes. If the codes come back, and you see what can best be described as a "snowflake", see C1300 line, click on the "snowflake" to the left, to get sub codes. Example: C1300-123, sub codes provide greater clarity to the problem/trouble shooting.

1) What is the 12V battery reading w/ a load?
    READ in a new tab/window of your Internet browser: Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Post #5) How to apply a load.
    Post #8) State of Charge chart, AGM compatible battery chargers.
    The codes could be cleared, but the will come back if a problem truly exists. It will only be a matter of time. If you have been driving since you cleared the codes, I bet the codes are back.

6. MME

MME New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Exstudent. I drive the car twice not very far from home (~10 miles), but the codes aren't back yet.

I once too the car to AutoZone to check the battery and they told me that it probably needs a new battery!

7. John Christopher

John Christopher New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm sure this has been stated many times before but check both the front and BACK breaks. The BACK brakes have a sensor that will cause these lights to go off if the back brakes are dangerously low.

When you change the breaks you need to disconnect the battery for the brake sensors to update.
    Also when you change the breaks you need to turn your car on and off for your parking break to be recognized.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    touch all the wheels after driving to see if one is exceptionally hot

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius