1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, ABS,VSC, (!) warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jason z, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Jason z

Jason z Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I changed my brakes on my 2016 prius. When I push in caliber it causes the Brake, ABS,VSC, (!) warning lights to come on when started. Last time I had to take it to dealer and they turned it off with laptop. Is there any way I can do this from home to save money?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should find out why they're on before turning them off. (After, you can't find out.)

If you don't have a scan tool to find out, you don't need one; see this page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Edit: hmm, wait, your profile says a Gen 2 but you seem to be talking about a Gen 4. The blink codes might have gone away in Gen 4. If so, it'll take a scan tool.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Correct; at least, the Repair Manual (more info) doesn’t mention any way to read diagnostic trouble codes from the brake system other than using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or equivalent, and the two-digit codes are no longer listed.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    End of an era. Another reason to try to nurse my Gen 3 along for as long as I can. I like alternatives.

Speaking of alternatives, the Gen 1 repair manual said the body ECU would blink codes out on the door-ajar warning light ... but if it couldn't communicate with the combination meter to do that, it would blink the codes on the dome light instead. :)