1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Accumulator/Easy enough fix-? (2004 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2much2fast, Mar 14, 2017.

1. 2much2fast

2much2fast New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it easy enough to replace a brake accumulator in a '04 Prius"? The Toyota dealership as well as 'OReilly's computer diagnosis, indicated brake accumulator needing replacement as well as the Hybrid battery (due to a bad #10 cell). I've located a man in Tulsa that's replaced about 70 hybrid batteries over the years, that will install a reconditioned battery (taking my core, obviously) all for $700.00/installed. He only replaces the batteries on hybrid cars, nothing else. So I thought I would purchase the brake accumulator on line and install it my self?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) i've read that replacing it isn't too hard. you may want to look for salvage, i think they might be expensive.

2) do your due diligence on replacement batteries, they can be iffy at best.

3) how many miles on her?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you not covered by the brake accumulator recall?

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would strongly suggest leaving the accumulator replacement up to factory trained technicians. A couple quick reasons are: Your life is not worth giving up for a few hundred $$$ and serious injury can occur if not done correctly as the accumulator holds full rated hydraulic system pressure (1500-4500 PSI) depending on the system and vehicle configuration - NOT something you want to be sprayed with.