1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Accumulator (I assume)

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Chester3, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chester3

Chester3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm new here, but not new to Prius. I had a 2004 for a couple years that never had major problems, but had lots of problems (hub assemblies, am I right?) I recently paid up for a 2013 Prius V 3 (I think it's a 3 20200924_172315~2.jpg , not certain)

After hearing a pump run every 10 seconds or so, the brake pedal "chatter" internally while depressed, and having all my brake lights come on after the first 500 miles (less than, actually) I found that the brake accumulator having a bad internal seal is a common problem. I'd like to know from someone that had the accumulator diagnosed and repaired if these are the symptoms you noticed. And also if the thing I think is the accumulator is actually the accumulator. (See picture) it sits below and somewhat aft of the brake fluid resevoir and you can actually see it vibrate when it runs.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the brake booster "pump" (& accumulator) is usually part of the problem as is the brake "master cylinder" (& abs/ecu). They are usually changed together.

You can call 888-270-9371 and provide your vin to check for support programs or extended warranty. Most of the gen3 hatchbacks qualify for help but for some reason the v has not been covered in the past. There is or was a class action suit on the issue so a call may be worthwhile.

The parts are somewhat difficult to access and use a special flushing procedure.
    Prius pump assy.jpg
    Prius master cylinder assy.jpg

#2 rjparker, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    scona, Tim Jones and SFO like this.
  3. Chester3

Chester3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for both parts and phone number. I heard about the lawsuit, but other than that have no information on anything more being included in the recalls. It's not something I'd wanna do myself (straight up laziness, but also, face-mashing into a good bit of hybrid components) and estimates put the pricing around $3k. I can't currently find a shop that will even consider doing it outside of the dealership. I'm still trying to convince myself a good brake bleed will help haha

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually a good brake flush may help for a day or two. I tried it and had those results.

5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought my parts used on ebay.... $200 and did my self...... Just remember that is has to be v parts not the hatchback as thy are different.

Chester3 likes this.
  6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tim is right, many used sellers will say their part fits even though it has a different part number, but it really won't work on a v. The master cylinder is a networked part.

Standard brake flush without Techstream (may not flush all of master cylinder)

Invalid Mode
    for Brake Flush
    1. Press Parking Brake
    2. Press Start Button twice
    3. Press Brake Pedal and shift into Neutral
    4. Press Brake x8 in 5 secs
    5. Press Park
    6. Press Brake x8 in 5 secs and release
    7. Press Brake pedal and shift to Neutral
    8. Press Brake x8 in 5 secs
    9. Press Park (Blinking brake light)
    10. You are in Invalid Mode
    Bleed rear brakes by holding pedal down
    Bleed front brakes by pumping brakes
    Power down to exit invalid mode

Consider using charger on 12v battery During process

#6 rjparker, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Tim Jones and Chester3 like this.
  7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Next things will be blown inverter, water pump and the traction battery. Check oil and coolant levels twice a week.

8. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You really DO like to dis the v, even though you no longer own one. If you want to add meaningful comments, why don't you research what the percentage of failure is for the items you continue to moan about.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why do you read my posts?
    Or take the time to reply?
    I own a prius v. Drove it yesterday.