1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake actuator and solenoid failed, 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oceana, Nov 12, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Massachusetts is home to several hybrid garages, as well as the most popular hybrid trainer in the US. You are right, new the part cost is very expensive, but used, they are dirt cheap, because this is a fairly robust part. I am not trying to trivialize what happened to you, but I am insisting that you have much cheaper options than the dealer or trading in for something else.

See

http://priuschat.com/forums/file-library/99180-changing-actuator.html

and

Preferred Independent Hybrid Car Repair and Service Shops | Hybrid Cars

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So you're going to leave your car busted or sell it/trade it busted?

I'd personally get it fixed but try to get Toyota to pay for part of it. If it's still too much, seek cheaper alternatives.

3. rusqtsi

rusqtsi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seilerts thanks for the link. I will look for the part used.

cwerdna, yes that was the intent. The car is a lease that is up in 2 months. No way am I spending $3 grand. I just lost my job.. I rather feed the kids than to put 3 grand on what I consider to be a new car.

My dad was going to buy it as he travels 100 miles a day but he is now turned off on Hybrids.

I wanted to be part of the hybrid revolution but I cant afford it.

After you pay an Arm for the car I am not willing to pay a leg to repair it after 2 years. Specially after I took care of this car. I planned on keeping it up until this repair bill.

On a good note.. After I told the stealer to just give me the car back, somehow all the warning lights are gone, the car is not giving me problems. So I wonder what the stealer did????

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe they just charged up the 12V battery. Brake warning lights are common when a weak/discharged 12V battery sags during the startup cycle.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully the OP will not have anymore problems.

6. PriusinSeattle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anyone else receive a "Warranty Enhancement Notification - ZG1" from Toyota USA regarding brake actuator problems in their Gen 2? We've been having intermittent brake problems for the past few months where several dash warning lights come on and the brakes feel like they're operating at about 10% of normal. So far this has always happened at slow speeds so we've been able to safely pull to the roadside, turn the car off for several minutes, and then the brakes are normal again when we re-start. Brought car to an independent repair shop which said brakes look like new and they had never heard of the brake issue we described. Then spoke to a tech at a Toyota dealership who said they couldn't determine what the problem is until it's brought in while the car is in the "problem" mode, which so far has been impossible since it goes away after off/on restart. So, now it appears that Toyota is at least willing to consider fixing it although they make it very clear in their letter that they might end up not covering the costs if it's determined there is no problem with the brake actuator. Our '08 has 85K on it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, there is a thread. you need to take it to the dealership to have the codes read.

8. Mohammad Awad

Mohammad Awad New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello guys

I have the same problem with code C1256
    Should I change the expensive ABS or I can avoid this problem

Thanks in advance
    M.Awad