1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Assem - Warranty Enhancement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, May 21, 2016.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, only the Primary Coverage to 12/31/2017 is applicable to my 2004.

The Secondary Coverage is N/A, since it is good for 10 years or 150K miles, whichever occurs first - while both of those have already occurred to my vehicle.

2. Jimfromcolumbus

Jimfromcolumbus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know what specifically the tech will look for when diagnosing the problem? I've had the master light along with the other lights come on from time to time but they eventually shut off. (no issues with steering, braking etc.) When I've taken it in before, they get multiple codes (in history) and it they say that it is the accessory battery (which I had replaced). Based on the experience I had with the combo meter replacement, I don't trust them and would like to have more information before I go in.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2009 has always made the brake barking sound. I now have 226K miles on it. Wish I'd known that sound meant there was a problem especially if it's going to cost me $2K+ to fix on a car that's worth just twice that alone.

I got the notice a few weeks ago and threw it out when I saw the 150K limitation.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The barking sound does not necessarily point to a failure. Also, the 150K mile limit does not apply to the primary coverage.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What is the duration of the primary coverage? I bought mine new in September of 09.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12/31/2017 regardless of odometer reading.

dalcon95 and sorka like this.
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Ahh. Thanks. Hopefully if this becomes an issue they won't require that I have the enhancement notice. How common is this problem?

I just got my prius smogged after driving around with a p0420 (bad cat) ECL for a year. I was on the verge of having to spend $1800 on a new cat but tried the the acid bath which worked. First major expense averted at 222K miles.

I was figuring the next likely major(and now the first since I saved the cat) expense would be the traction battery.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, sufficiently common for the letter to have been issued, but I think the likelihood of failure is less than the traction battery failing.

9. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy to report that TOYOTA issued a reimbursement check.

Sent Diagnosis report from Toyota Dealer.
    Sent repair bill of repair performed at a local auto shop.

I think the key was that I had diagnosis performed at Toyota dealership after paying $100 fee and did mention in the letter that due to high repair cost, opted to perform the repair locally.
    Had no idea that this warranty notification would come months later.

Toyota took about 45 days to process the case but am pleasantly surprised to look the check.

dalcon95 and cwerdna like this.
  10. Jedi2099

Jedi2099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update - I got the check from Toyota today! It was 5 weeks to the day they received the request. Overall pretty easy process and thanks to Toyota for standing behind their products!

Now if they would do an enhancement for my AC Evaporator that also failed this year...

11. spagirl76

spagirl76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The notice came and I had the parts replaced two weeks ago, after months of abs/brake light alerts. Since the car had codes for the battery and water pump I had those replaced too (posted about this earlier). Now the car turns on but won't display the speedometer or shift from neutral and the red triangle and abs come back on. I'm getting the car towed back to Toyota (they did ABS system under warranty and then I had the battery replaced and the water pump). Hoping some kind of sensor got missed on the ABS work and that's all it is.
    They were quick to get me in for the warranty part and didn't give me a hassle about; just tied to get me to do a 530.00 water pump and 3100.00 battery replacement while there.

12. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    07 Prius 144k mi. Brake actuator is starting to prime more often than before. Also ran for like 10-15s upon shutdown yesterday. Never heard it ran that long before. No warning lights. Brakes works fine other than a little bit of noise sounding like air brakes during braking while vehicle is moving very slowly (like backing out of garage)

2 question

1. Anyone successful to get the actuator replaced with this condition under this warranty without any warnings lights?
    2. Anyone know if actuator running more frequently is precursor to impending failure with warning lights?

Thanks

#52 howardc64, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What does it do? Is there some sort of sound that you can tell?

14. Soren Saggio

Soren Saggio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes, the Brake Actuator pumps and clicks like crazy even when you just approach the car (without starting the engine) and it continue to go on and off while driving. I asked my local Toyota dealership about the sound about 6 months ago and I was told that is was the Brake Actuator and that the computer thus far is reading that it is OK, but it is definitely working more then it should and that I should continue to drive until the computer tells me it is malfunctioning as it is VERY expensive to replace.

Since my Prius is a 2004, the notice indicates that I will only be covered until Dec 2017.... I have never wanted a part to fail so badly. I really don't want to have to pay the crazy price they want to replace that thing.

And I am have NO idea if they will even consider replacing until on of those warning lights pop up..... can anybody else chime in on this?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you should go in there now that the program is active. The dealer gets paid by Toyota to make the repair so it's good for you, good for them.

16. Soren Saggio

Soren Saggio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We just dropped the Prius off... it was time for an oil change anyway... AND the Check Engine light came on yesterday --- not sure if that will have anything to do with the Brake Actuator, but my Toyota service rep said they are familiar with the Actuator issue and have had many in in recent months.

UPDATE - got the call back from Toyota - my engine light had NOTHING to do with the Brake Actuator issue -- apparently I have a stuck coolant control valve (ya! only $400 to get that fixed-- ARG....) however she did say it was throwing the code for the Brake Actuator and they will be replacing that for free..... THUS if you have a really noisy Actuator... and NO brake warning lights, you could possibly get it fixed under this program... Once again, mine is a 2004 and has like 185,000 miles on it

wjtracy likes this.
  17. l_d_allan

l_d_allan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We got the ZG1 notice about a month ago for our 2007 Prius with about 180,000 miles, and followed the notice's guidance to "ignore if the problem isn't happening". The extension was until Dec 31, 2017.

Today, the lights went on, and the problem seems to be happening.

An additional problem that I haven't noticed in other posts on this thread is that the car has gone into "low power mode", and we barely got home. There was barely enough power to get up a slight incline on a public street at at stop-light.

Once we got home, we called the Toyota dealer. They didn't know anything about a ZG1 notification of warranty extension.

Then we tried to drive it around the block to see if it might have healed itself. The transmission will only go into Park and Neutral. We had to push it back into the driveway (slight uphill). We may have to have it towed to the dealership.

Any suggestions appreciated.

#57 l_d_allan, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  18. SocialMicrobe

SocialMicrobe New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This problem started in my prius around May of 2015. I finally had enough in April of 2016 and took it in and shelled out close to $3k to fix it. Then I got this June of 2016. It is now Sept, I am still fighting corporate toyota for reimbursement. I have sent every document that I have and they still keep denying it. I am on the verge of never owning a toyota again over this issue! Any suggestions?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should we assume you did the repairs at a non-Toyota shop? This is the more difficult case, but others are also trying (see all the threads on this topic). You would have to compare notes.

20. extricate

extricate New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This thread literally saved me. I was quoted $2500 to repair this item, and was actually planning on buying a used part and just doing it myself. Thankfully I read this and was able to talk to the dealer and will be getting it fixed Friday.

The funny part is I paid for the diagnosis at Toyota and they failed to mention this to me. The guy on the phone today said that he was really surprised that his tech missed this. I'm not too terribly upset, I'm just glad I don't have to perform the repair, or pay for anything.

Now I might try to get my diagnosis price refunded, but if not it's not a huge deal.

Dino33ca likes this.