1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Assem - Warranty Enhancement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, May 21, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't the user enter the VIN on the Toyota Owners site to tell if those recalls have been performed?

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    it would show in the service history section but the website does NOT show extended warranty info, just federal recalls so the dash and brake actuator will not be there.. as I fought with toyota customer service I can tell you there standard answer is we sent a letter to the registered owned at the time, if you didnt own the car at that time theres nothing we can do.. so when my dash goes out again Im going to have to eat it.. at least they fixed my brakes for free

3. jenesuispasbavard

jenesuispasbavard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, with the VIN check on Toyota's Owner's site there's no mention of this problem or whether the solution has been applied to this car since last year. I'll keep trying dealers until I get one that is at least willing to look. I also don't want to pay the diagnostic fee and then find out they won't cover the costs because the warning light isn't on...

bisco likes this.
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you don't have a lot of options, NO dealer is going to check it for free, they are in business to make money.
    you have a 10 year old car with no warranty, just like anything else YOU will have to pay for the repair if its not covered and putting in used parts is stupid because they are all going to be defective so expect a $3400 repair bill..
    pay the fee its the cheapest way to know if its covered or not, if it is you get it back if its not you know to dump the car ASAP.
    You didn't buy the car from Toyota so they don't care if you get it fixed or not, it would save them money if you didn't.

BTW the extended warranty program ends at the end of the year so you don't have a lot of time, $100 is cheap if it can save you $3400

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice video, sir! Thanks for that.

Beachbummm likes this.
  6. jenesuispasbavard

jenesuispasbavard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So the sound was getting pretty annoying, and kinda alarming at times (even though I know it's not a catastrophic failure about to happen).

Went to a Service Center with no warning lights, just the symptoms (rattle noise from the front driver side; 'barking' noise from the brakes, especially front passenger side). They asked if I knew about the ZG1 warranty extension (I'd mentioned it in the Issues field when making an appointment), I waited an hour while they checked it out, and they ordered the part. Took it back in the next week and in four hours it was all done, for $0.00.

Beachbummm and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. carl'sjr

carl'sjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    they just did mine (2005 prius). rolled in with no pressure, brake and abs lights, and beeping, rolled out with a free rental car for a week (they gave me a 16 highlander). picked it up today all fixed with a bill of 0, including the rental car i put 500 miles on. i almost feel bad for them. almost

8. carl'sjr

carl'sjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    they will at worst make you pay 55 bucks for the diagnostic. if you don't have the zg1 issue, you pay 55 and drive away. if you do, they waive the fee, give you a free rental car, and give you 4+ hours labor and a 1200-1700 dollar part for free. it's totally worth 55 bucks