1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator availability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnstecz, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Johnstecz

Johnstecz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know of a source for Brake actuators? My mechanic is hearing from Toyota that they are indefinite back-order. So we ordered it, but it could be several months or more before we get the part.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried online already, as Mcgeorge, Camelback, or Olathe should have stock, and will likely beat the local dealer pricing.

Give me the part # that you're trying to use, and I'll see what one of the dealership parts guys has to say about current availability.

There is a remanufactured dorman option with a lifetime warranty, but future labor charges can make it a no starter, best to stick with OEM.

Has the vehicle already thrown the related code (DTC) ?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So on a Gen 2 the actuator is the pump that's operated by your foot on the firewall essentially a master cylinder I mean I have mine all out right now I'm staring at it and my Corolla we'd call this a master cylinder and you'd buy a seal kit for it run something up the board to clean it put the new rubbers on lube them with brake fluid pop them together I don't know if you can do that to a Prius if the rubbers are available but that just feeds your foot pressure over to the ABS pump and accumulator I guess so I tend to still call it a master cylinder. In other words it doesn't have any electronic it is strictly hydraulic doesn't even have a booster behind it That's all handled by the pump accumulator so the only thing essentially they can go wrong with it is it can't make enough pressure so it should be when you take it off you'll see fluid on the back of it running down it like it's leaking correct that and it should go away The problem. I would think

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Negatory, Gen 2 has a master cylinder separate from the actuator. In this drawing, the actuator is PNC 44510, and the master cylinder is 47200. There is also a separate stroke simulator (47207A).

[​IMG]

Gen 3 is the only gen where the master cylinder is combined with the actuator.

Here is an old post that shows how the brake parts musical chairs game goes between the different generations. The prices are out of date, but the other info is still good.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so can you really fix it with new rubbers, since whole units aren't available?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    :confused: Here I was, thinking about starting an actuator replacement tonight on my 2008. Now I'm going to need some time to let all this new info soak in (or maybe out).

I have 5 Gen 2 actuators on the shelf (used and untested other than multimeter measurements). I was just going to grab the best looking candidate and go for it. I figured I need the practice anyway. I thought about maybe even do it 5 times so I can install and test each unit. Might do it 0 times now since I may have other options to explore!! :unsure:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That was based on somebody mixing up the "actuator" with the "master cylinder".

For Gen 1, Toyota did actually sell rebuild rubber kits for the master cylinder (but not for the actuator).

For Gen 2, they don't, but the Gen 2 master cylinder is only a couple hundred bucks anyway. But that's not the actuator, of course.

For Gen 3, the actuator and the master cylinder were combined.

For Gen 4, they're separate items again.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a guy in Taylor, Tx somewhat near you that has a lot of gen 2 parts. Used but he has been around for years. Called the "Prius Dr." on google (eg Prius Doctor).

B656FDA0-323C-43B8-AA6C-F4F11E0404ED.jpeg

#8 rjparker, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I meant putting new rubbers in the master cylinder The thing that bolts to the firewall that on other cars would have a brake booster behind it but here it's not needed that master cylinder is probably a standard size bore that Toyota has used forever it's stamped on the master cylinder when you take it out generally on the piston and like I say it in some ways I'd be shocked if I couldn't re-rubber it but I've never seen a bad one so I'm not even worried about that it just look like you could slip new rubbers in it if you had it out hone the bore slip new rubbers in it back together it goes but I couldn't even imagine that thing to ever be bad with Dot 4 and better fluid in it I noticed that in these prii. The brake fluid stays clear . Purdy much . So I guess the fluid is not having its way with the o-rings and maybe the o-rings are up to snuff now whichever.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah if it has electrical connector going to it probably not going to rebuild it if it's got hydraulic implications in the part I meant the part on the firewall that looks like a master cylinder with no brake booster behind that master cylinder thing it seems like it would have a standard bore or usually stamped right on the piston

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This thread's asking about the actuator, though. The Gen 2 brake actuator looks like this:

[​IMG]

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well dang I thought that was the ABS pump and accumulator The black thing being the accumulator and the silver part being the pump motor if you unbolted it as a drive gear on the front of it that looks like it turns when the two long pins get energy from inside the unit That's what I just replaced the thing right here in the picture that you just put up My lights are all off the only problem now I have no regen braking everything is connected under the hood The car runs fine all the dash lights are out No codes are pending except my p 420 for the low catalyst threshold which is always there at the moment

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So this rebuilt actuator that I bought out of Florida the guy sent me two of them worked straight off of his shelf and now I have an extra one because he sent me two funny thing I can't find this guy in my history on eBay nor in my purchase history and I just bought this thing like 7 months ago nothing in eBay about it nothing I need to I want to pay the guy for the other one He was in Florida this is really weird.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's the thing we couldn't buy from Toyota for a while or it was NLA or not in stock or such. But I guess the rebuilders called them pump accumulators because when I looked them up I can find them for the Gen 2 under that name and I'm going to assume they're rebuilt if Toyota can't even supply one new or couldn't for a while I wouldn't think other people would be manufacturing new ones for 09 Prii. ?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Gen 2 all that's combined. The black thing is the accumulator, the silver round thing is the pump, and the silver rectangular valve block they're attached to is the actuator.

As mentioned a few times before, Toyota has musical-chaired the various brake parts between different generations of the car. In Gen 3, for example, the pump/accumulator is separate from the actuator (but in Gen 3, the master cylinder is combined with the actuator).

There is an old post you can look at to see the different ways the brake components were divvied up in the different Prius generations. It's old enough that the prices are out of date, but the other information is sound.

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well if I can find out the shop that I bought this rebuilt one from for 300 bucks it looks like they did a bang up job because it's working wonderfully and everything seems to be good Not even crossing my fingers it just seems to be working like it's supposed to

17. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep us posted. I'm sure some would like an option for a good rebuilt one.

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah funny thing about this I can't find it in my eBay history I have the box and part of the label it came out of Florida but the business name and address has been washed off by it getting wet I'm looking in my history it doesn't exist it shows where I looked at it a million times a matter of fact I don't even have the correspondence where I wrote the dude back and told him it would be several weeks to a month or two before I would have the chance to install it and told him about what happened with my '05 at that point he said I'm sending you out another one just so you have two. I cannot even find that correspondence in my eBay messages this is very weird.

WHCSC likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV