1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator buzzing more frequently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott56, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The buzzing from the brake has become much more frequent, often times even mid drive when the brake is not even being pressed. Usually about once every other press is what it averages. The temperatures are very hot in south alabama and was wondering if that might be a heat issue when it needs to compress more often or is the actuator just wearing out.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    johnnyb588, bisco and Scott56 like this.
  3. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Hchu1 I'm taking it in the dealership to have it inspected. there could be a hairline fracture in the actuator which is why it might be needing to pressurize so much. I was also having trouble with a slight brake delay between 3 mph and a complete stop. It is like it flutters (goes 1/4 second without brakes) when it switches to hydrolic brakes. I'll see if there really is a software upgrade to make that transition more seamless.

4. PriFi

PriFi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any updates Scott?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't learned the ins-n-outs of the applicable Gen 2 service campaigns to the extent I have for Gen 3. But anyway, yes, the symptoms point to the accumulator or actuator, and because Gen 2 has just one assembly that combines both of those, you can even skip the "which one is it?" question that Gen 3 owners face.

#6 ChapmanF, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.