1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Failure..a common problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by torrent99, May 31, 2019.

1. torrent99

torrent99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm currently looking at a "new" car for the next few (6-8) years and very tempted by getting a 2007(ish) Prius.
    I've already priced in the cost of a new HV battery (estimating approx £1.6K in the UK), but wondering about the other major failures for Gen 2s.

I've come across "Brake Acutator failure", it seems it's a design fault with the actuator and the replacement cost is crippling! (£1K just for the part new). This seems like it could be a car killer. So is this really a common problem or am I worrying too much about it?

(current car is an Auto 2002 GM/Opel/Vauxhall Astra that is burning oil. Alternative plan is to keep buying junker low mileage Astras as they are easy+cheap to fix, but not exactly fuel efficient and after 13 years of the same car, not very exciting! Only do <5K miles a year.).

Cheers

Steve

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was a common enough problem here in the US that Toyota did extend the warranty to 10 years for this part. I am familiar with this as my Brake Actuator in my 2008 Prius failed 2 months after the Warranty extension expired for me. I couldn't get them to extend the warranty and the new part cost me $1,134 US dollars from Toyota online supplier. I installed it myself with some helpful advice from a Toyota Technician who gave me the confidence to try it. Toyota wanted $1,250 labor to install the part. While this seems very high after doing it myself I see why they charge this much at the Dealership- still doesn't make it feel right.

So for a 2007 car you would be out around $2,400 to repair the Brake Actuator for a 12 year old car. If the Hybrid battery failed right after this job you would be out $2000 US for a new battery from the Dealer if you could find one for this cost and maybe $500 labor to replace.

These Generation 2 Prius are excellent vehicles that can save a lot of money. Mine was still getting over 50 mpg when I got rid of it.
    Go into this purchase with your eyes and wallet wide open knowing you could potentially be in for a wild ride.

My Prius had 150,000 miles on it when I sold it. I liked this car very much and it was good to our family, but I was starting to have a bad feeling for its dependability due to its age and mileage .Many here have Prius with over 200,000 on them and still love their vehicle and wouldn't think of selling it. Having owned a late model Gen 2 and maintained it myself I would take a pass on a used Generation 2 Prius this age

Nikolai Petrov likes this.