1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator is going out.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by caverluna, Nov 12, 2019.

1. caverluna

caverluna New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello!

This is my first time posting on here so I apologize for the long post. I have a 2010 Prius and have had many issues with it. In the last year the engine, the hybrid battery, and regular 12V have been replaced. Now the mechanic ( not a certified Toyota mechanic) said that the actuator is going out. The car is making a horrible sound when the brake is pressed and making a buzzing sound when the car is off. I am trying not spend any more money on this car because I'm over it but I'm wondering if the warranty would still cover it? I know the brake booster has an extended warranty but I don't think it's the same thing as the brake actuator. Here are my current options:
    Sell the car as is and make the problem someone else's (even though I feel this is evil.)
    Try and have the husband fix it, and risk him fully breaking it and making it not worth anything.
    Take it to Toyota, spend $125 to get it diagnosed (essentially throw the money away, and see if it is covered by Toyota)
    Any advice would be great!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Drive it til it dies

caverluna likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the miles on it, and date of first purchase from dealership? Up here in Canada there's a Warranty Enhancement Program (August 2018, SOLH-W31-1A). There's VERY likely a similar program in the States? The Brake Booster is covered for replacement, for either of the following:

1. 240,000 kms
    2. 10 years from date of first use.

@ChapmanF for one would likely know the US program details.

If you qualify, but are hesitating because of a possible diagnostic charge, I wouldn't: the repair can run into multiple $1000's; get it in and on record.

4. caverluna

caverluna New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the car in 2012 and it has 183K miles on it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, assuming customer support program ZJB is the one in question, it applies through the end of this month with no mileage limit. After the end of this month, it continues to apply until the car hits 150,000 miles, or ten years from first use.

T-SB-0079-18 explains what conditions in the car trigger the coverage, and what will be replaced.

It happens to be, in Gen 3. The nomenclature can drive you bonkers. In Gen 3 there is one thing that is all of: the "brake booster", the "master cylinder", the "brake actuator", and the "skid control ECU", while there is one other different thing that is the "brake booster pump" (just one word different!), also known as the "accumulator".

On the other hand, if the car's condition is covered under the ZJB program, both of those things will be replaced, so it doesn't matter as much how to tell them apart.

For grins, here is the post where I laid out the way those different parts got differently grouped together / split apart / repackaged across the different Prius generations.

caverluna and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After the end of this month, yes.

Before the end of this month, miles don't matter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @caverluna reading along?

9. caverluna

caverluna New Member

Vehicle: