1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator? more frequent pump noise and occasional (!) ABS & VSC lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by avram, Jan 5, 2017.

1. avram

avram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all.
    I have a 2005 Prius with 176k miles (out of warranty enhancement)
    The braking system has been acting up more and more over the past few months.
    1) Occasionally (one time in 100 or so) when I start the car, the (!) ABS and VSC lights stay on for a few seconds, during which the brakes don't work.
    2) Last week, I've noticed a (brake actuator pump?) noise happens more and more often - as often as 10-20 seconds, even when I'm not using the brakes, and even for a few times after I turn off the car or open the door while the car is turned off.
    Each time it lasts about 4 seconds, but longer when I open the door after the car has been off for a while.
    3) Just today, the red triangle went on but only for a second. It happened twice while driving.
    4) there has also been an occasional "pop" while holding the brake pedal down for a few seconds after coming to a stop at a red light.

Although the car still brakes great, I gather the prognosis is not good.

I've read threads quoting over $2000 for a brake actuator replacement, with over $1000 just for the parts.
    Are the parts really so hard to get?
    Aren't there generics but decent new parts?
    As for used parts,
    A quick eBay search shows a used ABS actuator for under $200.
    I would still have to find a mechanic, but maybe I can find him some used parts and save $800.

Thanks!

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Through the end of 2017, all brake actuator problems on 2nd generation Prii (2004-2009) are covered by extended warranty ZG1. You can get it fixed at a Toyota dealer for free.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  3. avram

avram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for pointing out that the mileage doesn't matter for the 2017 warranty enhancement.
    I saw in another post that the red triangle and/or some other warning lights have to be on before the warranty kicks in.
    For now, my warning lights come on rarely and only for a few seconds. It's the noise that worries me.
    Is it safe to drive until the red triangle etc. turns on?
    I fear the brakes will fail when I need them most.
    Thanks

#3 avram, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the malfunction indicator is only on for a few seconds at a time, it's sometimes helpful to ask a mechanic to go for a short ride in your vehicle so they can understand what's happening and so they don't tell you they can't reproduce the warning.

5. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    FYI, The extended warranty ZG1 still good until end of 2017 and no-mileage restrictions for Gen II. My local Toyota dealer service advisor pulled up information on computer and validated. However it seems the ABS/VSC codes needs to be present to justify fix at dealer.. according to dealer.

#5 jm98, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. Opus

Opus New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took my 2009 with 230,000 miles in for this warranty service. I printed out the info from this forum and the Toyota dealership had to call Toyota to confirm but they did replace the actuator pump for free. The only issue now is that the bad pump destroyed my less than a year old Optima 12V Aux battery. Fighting with Toyota now about that. The battery has a 36 month warranty but Optima and Toyota can't agree on who to blame for this. More to come.

7. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my 2009 prius to dealership and I have 317,000 miles. I didn't have any codes, but I had loud actuator noise. They heard it and fixed it.

So I think that some dealerships are assholes, to NOT fix an actuator that is clearly on its way to dying.

Go to as many dealerships as you have to, to get it handled. Doesn't hurt to try that, if one dealership is a prick, maybe the next one will have better customer service.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. George Geisel

George Geisel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now my 2008 was done by Toyota. Now my 2011 is worse! Toyota says NOT COVERED, Help. Let's all send letters. I already did.

9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wait! Is it possible for the 12V battery to be dead because of the failing or bad ABS actuator?

I'm just curious to learn sir!

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe he may be referring to either the inverter coolant pump or the engine coolant pump (probably the former), although it is mentioned in passing as if we should know that already. Maybe the details were mentioned in another thread.

11. Sydn3y

Sydn3y New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I'm in Sydney Aust and I've got a 2007 Prius with about 200,000 km.

Last week the 2-3 second brake actuator rattle started. I got the car serviced by NRMA who couldn't diagnose the issue but said the car was roadworthy.

I took it to a Toyota dealership who identified the issue and quoted me $5200 for parts and labour!

Is Toyota still fixing this issue for free? I bought this car second hand 5 yrs ago.
    Is my (gorgeous) car now a write-off?

12. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sydn3y likes this.
  13. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

I have pretty much the same issues you listed above. What worked for you? Any help appreciated