1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake actuator replacement and brake flush $3600

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nillyaway, Jul 22, 2020.

1. nillyaway

nillyaway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was wondering if I get the brake actuator/master cylinder/booster replace then does that mean I have to still get the brake flushed? The dealership will cover the actuator replacement (valued $3600) and recommended that I get the brake fluid flushed. If they replace the parts then doesn't that mean the fluid is contained in those parts? Bleeding the brake is a $160 extra cost. I felt so relieved of the not paying the $3600 bill that I said yes to the brake bleeding without really thinking about it.

What lead me to getting my brake actuator/master cylinder replaced is that my ABS light, BRAKE, and traction control light lit up. The brake suddenly requires a lot more pressure to get it to brake and the regenerative braking doesn't work. Prior to this I was hearing hissing sounds coming from the brake when I press it while at a stop light and its not moving. The actuator pump kept pumping more and more often making that that buzzing sound. Eventually it got to a point where it buzzed ever 5-10 seconds. When I went into the dealership about 5000 miles ago I asked them to look into it and they told me that hissing sound is normal. I knew it wasn't normal as I was reading up on a lot of the threads about brake actuator and booster issues. There was a letter that was sent to prius owners in regard to this issue and dealerships will cover the cost of fixing brake actuator/master cylinder issue if car is under 150,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first. My car has 146,000 miles so this was a very close call. If those warning lights didn't light up and the dealership doesn't have reasons to run their machines on it then I would probably end up going over 150,000 miles and dealerships not having to cover it.