1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator replacement in pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Chris Ward

Chris Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is the TIS website has the factory repair manual on the site. Is that incorrect? If so is there a fast way to obtain the factory repair manual?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Factory repair manual is on TIS, even at the $15 level. There is a model list somewhere you can check before you even buy. If you need Techstream to connect your computer to the car and do some sort of priming of the pump, for example, or you want to use your MVCI to check for error codes, then you'd need the next level. You put Make, Model and Yr and kind of search for what you are looking for. You can also print what you may need. If you may need help you can let me know as I'm somewhat familiar with the system.

I found that starting my subscription on Wed evening I could get 'till Fri midnight, a little more time for you. Also, log in just before expiration and you can use it a little past the expiration if you don't log out.

#22 jzchen, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe I read from another post the subscription time from TIS website doesn't include weekends. So if you subscribe on a Friday, you should have til Monday on a 2 day subscription.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My son is off on the weekends so I've never tried since I do not want to be distracted. I can not confirm this, but when you subscribe it will give details on the expiration date and time just before you finalize.

5. shawnlevine

shawnlevine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Chris, How did your repair go?

6. Nilesh Bhoir

Nilesh Bhoir New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chris: I am in same boat as you with abs actuator replacement. Did you just replace with salvage part? Was it successful? I also heard from technician (Not Toyota), that when abs actuator is replaced, new code needs to be entered in car computer. It is hard to get code when you buy salvage part. Was you replacement success?

7. shawnlevine

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello chris, last week i ordered a replacement actuator on ebay for $123 and did the replacement last weekend. it was a knicke buster. after reading all of the warning with the bleeding i ordered a mini vci from amazon that will come in today. i also bought a neumatic brake bleader at harbor freight that might help. the pictures listed above are not complete and dificult to follow if found better but still incomplete directions on a post http://priuschat.com/attachments/changing-the-gen-ii-prius-actuator-pdf.32931/. i will let you know how it goes.

8. shawnlevine

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the job is done. the replacement was difficult. bleeding using techstream was a guessing game. at the end all of the warning lights went off and the brakes and actuator are quiet and they work great. i spent a total of 1 1/2 days over two weekends and under $200 in parts, tools and fluids.

frodoz737 likes this.
  9. ralphinjohn

ralphinjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Folks
    I have a chirping noise when i press on the brake pedal.
    My dealer tells me it is the brake actuator which is faulty but has yet to fail.
    The price of replacement here in Ireland is €4,000.
    The car is braking well and otherwise no problems.

I have four options:
    1. Pay the ransom and have it fixed.
    2. Trade the car in. The dealer says that its current value is €5,000 in its present condition.
    3. Get a second opinion.
    4. Get a non-Toyota dealer to replace the actuator with a salvaged part.

Has anyone got an opinion on whether this is a real fault or not?
    Does anybody know whether an ordinary garage mechanic can replace it without the need for sophisticated Toyota equipment?
    If so, does any body know where I could get a second hand actuator?
    Thanks in anticipation
    John

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Any warning lights on such as ABS, VSC, BRAKE or ((!))?
    2. You'll need Mini VCI which is a Toyota Techstream clone.
    3. eBay

11. ralphinjohn

ralphinjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Patrick, No warning lights have yet come on.
    Has anyone boght a second hand actuator on e bay?
    Regards
    JOhn

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there are no warning lights or drivability symptoms then I suggest you just drive the car and not worry about replacing the actuator. It does not make sense to incur a large expense just because of a chirp noise.

13. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    johnnyb588 likes this.
  14. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Had mine go out in one Prius a couple of months ago. That's an interesting pic, and it makes it hard to tell if it's the right part. My suspicion is no. The actuator assembly you're looking for has two "cans" on the unit. The actuator in the picture looks more like the actuator found in Tacomas of that generation (and probably other Toyotas as well, I'm just speaking from my own limited experience). The important thing is the part number. This particular part seems to have a few different numbers floating around. PN 44500-47141 is the number I see most often for the actuator assembly.

The odd thing is that the part number in that listing is correct (I think it's the old PN for that assembly), but the picture looks wrong. You may want to contact the seller to verify, as their information seems to be a little crossed.

bigbearballs likes this.
  15. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where did you get your part? I find another one with 90k miles on it for $250

johnnyb588 likes this.
  16. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had it done at a shop. The shop pulled the part from a local junker.

I would have liked to DIY it, but I'm finding it harder to make time for big DIY car stuff (anything over a couple hours).

bigbearballs likes this.
  17. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    johnnyb588 likes this.
  18. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So after Toyota diagnosed and charged me 89 to tell me it's going to cost 3150 to replace the actuator, the warning lights have not come back on. I'm assuming this is temporary?

19. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Before my actuator went out for good, the lights would come on momentarily (3-5 seconds, braking assist would be greatly diminished) about twice a month for three months. One day, the lights went on and stayed on, but this time it was without any symptoms unless I *really* slammed on it. It was at that point that I decided to have the actuator replaced for good. My lights may have gone off again if I had just left it alone, but I have no doubt they would have come back on eventually.

Based on my experience and the other experiences I learned from on PC when I was having my ABS issues, the lights going on and off is a normal occurrence. The actuator doesn't appear to be an item that fails catastrophically, thankfully. The lights going off doesn't mean your actuator is fine. It just means it's still fighting the good fight until the bitter end.

SFO and bigbearballs like this.
  20. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the data point, I'll get it replaced as soon as I get the part. I found a local shop that will replace it for 550. Much better than the 3150 quoted by Toyota.

johnnyb588 likes this.