1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator "warranty extension" from Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Soylent, Jul 18, 2016.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Does this warranty extension for brake actuators apply to a 2009? When I first got the car 2-3 weeks ago it was making the sound every now and then when cranking the car. Now I have noticed it more often. For instance, today in school car line to pick up my daughter I wold roll forward in electric only mode for say 50 feet then stop. Every single time I did that it would make the brake actuator noise for a couple seconds. I don't notice it as much when I'm driving with ice going, but seems like it happens just about every time I hit the brake when going slow with electric only.

Also, in the past few days when cranking the car I've been getting this chirp sound that sounds like it's coming from the brake actuator area. I read that it's caused by air bubbles. It sounds kind of like a turkey or something.

No dash light coming on but it's making me nervous.

Does this sound like the normal behavior of a healthy actuator? Could it just need a fluid change? If so, are there some tricks to make sure no air gets in while replacing fluid?

Thanks! I'm nervous about this car. Lol

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    call the dealer and give them the vin number they will tell you if its part of the repair, just don't call it a recall.. if its part they will check it for free then go from there..

3. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Priuses make a lot of noises. My hunch is you are being paranoid. The car is basically bullet proof to 250,000 miles.

If you want to find out for sure then take it to the Toyota Dealership. For $120 or so they will look at your brake actuator and either replace it under warranty and waive the obscene fee or if nothing wrong with it you'll pay them $120 to spend 5 seconds looking at it.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ask your local dealer as stated earlier or enter VIN here: Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN

You are likely confusing two different sounds, the source of the sound, and the underlying cause.
    1) CHRS (Coolant Heat Recovery Storage) pump.
    To me, it sounds like a dying electrical fan, for you, a turkey. The "awful," sound can be intermittent, and irregular.

This pump activates when you turn OFF the car, as hot coolant is moved from the engine loop, into the coolant heat storage tank (aka thermos). The pump also activates when you make the car READY; pumping the warm/hot coolant, from the thermos to the engine block. This whole system helps reduce emissions, by helping the car to reach optimum engine operating temperature faster due to the warm/hot coolant from the thermos.

If the noise bothers you that much, replace the pump, $150 at Camelback Toyota. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    Careful bleeding is required. Or you can just live with the noise. The pump will one day stop functioning and likely trigger DTC P2601. At this point, you will have to replace it to pass your states smog or vehicle inspection, due to the CEL being on.

2) Think cause and effect.

Every time you depress the brake, pressurized brake fluid is deployed, but the hydraulic brakes may or may not be engaged. Hydraulic brakes engage when going under 7 or 8MPH, and/or when additional braking force is needed. For example, if you are driving at highway speeds, and you LIGHTLY depress the brake pedal, you are using regenerative braking only. As you press harder to come to a complete stop or your speed drops below 7MPH, hydraulic brakes will kick in, pressurized brake fluid will have been required, and will need to be replaced. The accumulator pump will activate to have pressurized fluid ready for use again. If at highway speeds and you press HARD on the brake pedal, ie panic/emergency stop, regenerative and hydraulic braking will occur. Regenerative braking does the bulk of the work (stopping power), which is why the brake pads/shoes last so long on the Prius (used infrequently).

Now,

This is normal. You are using hydraulic braking. The car needs to replenish the pressurized fluid, which will cause that "pumping" sound you hear. Driving at highway speeds, the accumulator pump noise is probably being drowned out by the road noise, radio noise, and/or AC fan noise.

If there is a problem, usu warning lights and their corresponding DTCs will be able to retrieved.

Dook likes this.
  5. Lucashugh

Lucashugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just saved me $2500-3000 in repairs!!!! Thanks sooo much

Beachbummm likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a pdf version of OP's notice, might be handy.

Attached Files:

m.wynn likes this.
  7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like I'm running out of time for the old '07 to start barking and shaking it's rattle:rolleyes:...

But I appreciate the warranty enhancement, anyway(y).

8. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have a audio/video link to the 'barking sound' that is made? Looked on YouTube but couldn't find anything..

Like jm98, I too am getting some pushback from the dealer regarding getting the actuator replaced.

The brake, abs, and red warning triangle have come on intermittently a few times recently, but the dealer says there are no brake system codes stored, weird because I figure if those lights have come on multiple times, there would be some brake code stored, they're saying only a coolant valve code...

Thoughts anyone?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you paid them, you have a right to a printout of the codes.

10. SpaceCityHybrids

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well I wish I knew about this before Dec 31, 2017

Ryan Harrington likes this.
  11. Whoami

Whoami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You and me both! Starting this last week, the brakes started whirring a lot more frequently in mine and have been generally odd for about a month. Imaging my surprise to find that there had been an extended warranty on them that I knew nothing about. Now it only applies if my car is under 150k miles... yeah right.

I will try my regular service center today to see what they say- probably no. After that, I may take it up to Toyota’s dispute department- some people have had luck with it and since my car is the newest model on the list, maybe I can get them to hear me out.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, all the best!(y)

13. Whoami

Whoami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just an update - as anticipated, Toyota gave me a solid "NO!" To my request.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh...I was hoping CARB states might have better luck which would give some hope. Until now I don't think the test cases have had the state in their profile.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What was the diagnosis?

16. SpaceCityHybrids

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My recent experience at a dealer was pretty terrible with one of my Prius on this issue. They tried to persuade me to replace the skid control ECU since I reportedly had a DTC of C1378(also C1241 C1256 C1397) at almost $4k. I know that this could not be the issue, since the car had never been submerged, in an accident and the 12v contact was just fine. They eventually agreed that the codes point to the brake actuator. They said they would contact corporate for goodwill assistance on this since ZG1 extension just ended, they still have not reported back to me (2 weeks now).

I came home and plugged in my tech-stream and it revealed no C1378, and now after contacting Toyota corporate I found out they have never inquired for assistance. So basically, they were just bullshitting me the entire time. Yet people wonder why dealer service is often avoided like the plague.

I recommend everyone with this issue notify the NHTSA here: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

#36 SpaceCityHybrids, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    prius8654, SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Whoami

Whoami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I didn't even have them look at the car... I am 99% sure it is the actuator

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't get how they can cover something they haven't seen or diagnose?

19. Whoami

Whoami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I asked if they were able to cover something that I had missed the warranty on. Both the service center and the corporate number understood what I was talking about and didn't give me, "Well, it depends on what the issue actually is," spiel. They didn't even use the phrase, "if that's the issue".

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that makes sense. if there is no valid warranty, there is nothing to cover.