1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake assist experience

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CivicQc, Apr 16, 2010.

1. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I experienced what I believe to be the effect of brake assist yesterday. Could anyone confirm they had the same experience and that this is what is to be expected from the Prius?

I had just got into the highway, downhill, and I noticed a line of cars in front, so I released the accelerator. That was not slowing down enough, so I started braking. Then I progressively pressed more and more on the brake pedal in a more or less linear way. Then, as the pedal was perhaps 3/4 of the way down, something strange happened: as far as I can remember, the brake pedal suddenly slammed to the floor (it was really floored - I felt it hitting the max position), and the car just braked like crazy (tires slided on the dry road making a loud "squeeeeee" noise, no antilock). It did have the desired effect though - it slowed the car dramatically, and no car hit any other.

Did any of you experience something similar?

1 person likes this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very odd. It sounds just like what happened twice to me only I was backing very slowly. How fast were you going?
    What is the build date of your Prius? Has the update been done?

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting! I have the same questions as Spiderman, do you have the update? and when was your car built?

I have not had the update (recall) and my brake pedal seems to require the same amount of force all the way from the top to the pedal stop near the floor. The amount of brake applied is a function of the pedal position rather than the amount of force applied. I have gotten used to that feel and kind of like it, which is why I have not had the update done. I have never had the experience you describe.

I think, however, that the brake issue that initiated the recall is quite similar to what you describe. I did feel that about 3 times but always on slippery surfaces and it seemed to be a delay between normal and ABS braking. In spite the fact I have not had the updated firmware installed I have not experienced that issue for at least 5 months and 10K miles now.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom,

I have had the brake update and my pedal still feels like it did before with the brake force relating to pedal position and not force.

Dwight

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That being true maybe I should go ahead and have it done. Can you still push the brake pedal clear down to the pedal stop with the car stopped?

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom,

I have never had the need to try it but will tonight. With a reasonable amount of pressure on the brake pedal at a stop light the pedal is still well above the floor, with what I would consider as a normal amount of resistance.

Even when I have had to brake hard my pedal has never come close to going all of the way to the floor.

Dwight

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Brake Assist activates when you *rapidly* remove your foot from the accelerator and slam on the brakes. In this situation the Prius assumes you are making a panic stop, and increases braking in anticipation of that.

The situation you describe does not sound like a panic stop, therefor Brake Assist should not have activated. Likewise the brake pedal feel does not change when Brake Assist activates.

Tom

8. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm guessing that it did that the other day when I had to bring the car to an abrupt stop so that I didn't end up killing bambi. Dadgum deer jumped the guard-rail and ran across the road right in front of me as I was going around an on-ramp to get on the highway. Almost had a fresh serving of steering wheel for dinner, because I didn't have time to even brace myself for it. It did kind of sound like the car made an odd noise when I stopped, but maybe it was ABS doing its thing and just the tires "skipping" briefly. I'm just glad no one was behind me!

10. LetsGoCamping

LetsGoCamping New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just an observation on the 2010 brakes. They are a poor substitute for the 2005 Prius brakes we were used to. We've had the update, which, of course, did nothing to help the normal braking power. We don't feel as safe in the 2010 when braking after having the instant braking response of the Gen. II.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The brake can be depressed as far as you want whenever you want as many times as you want. If the car is off you'll hear a pump or accumulator click. Pushing it all the way down engages Hill Start Assist.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg... sudden unintended braking! j/k.

I haven't experienced what you described, Civic. BA activates when it senses that the accelerator has been released quickly and the brake pedal depressed quickly. I would've guess regen to brake pads but there's no way it would apply full force.

13. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car was built in January. When I bought it, the salesman said "if there are any recall to do before delivery, we will do them. We do them because those are very lucrative for us". So I assume the recall has been done, or it did not need it because my car was built after Jan 1st. I never experienced the "plunge forward" that characterized the braking problem.

I was going about 95 km/h when I slowly started braking. When I released the brakes, I was going at about 10.

Interesting - thanks. I did not know that. So what I experienced was probably unrelated with brake assist.

Ok. Let's not tell that to the journalists then! :)

Thanks all for your very interesting comments. I will have to try reproduce it safely sometime, when there is not anyone on the highway. This way I can perhaps describe it more precisely.

Thanks again!

14. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What if he has a Pv w/ATP, I bet the breaks would apply full force if radar is not happy. Review video notice car to the right at 37 seconds coming on to freeway. Activate collision avoidance.

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=58632212"]Pre-Collision System Review Video by XMAN LIVE - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/Services/Media/Embed.aspx/m=58632212@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@myspace@@AMEPARAM@@Services/Media/Embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@58632212[/ame]

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it wet, and were you transitioning down through about 8 MPH
    from regen to hydraulic? You could have had the sandpaper problem.
    _H*

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming from cars without Brake Assist, I've found the 2010 Brake Assist to be D*** Fast. Especially when I don't need it.

And once, when the car in front of me suddenly stopped in the middle of the street with no functioning brake lights at the worst possible moment of my eye scan sequence of the surrounding environment, I was glad to be in this Prius. My other car would have had little margin. Prius stopped with a large margin.

The car behind had almost zero margin. My brake foot has since been recalibrated.

17. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks - interesting comment, I hadn't thought of that. But I dont think so. Before the hard braking event, I am pretty sure I was already in hydraulic braking. Also the whole week had been dry.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When my episode occurred (hit a sharp ridge of ice just before a crosswalk)at about 15mph), the pedal sank to the floor with little or no back pressure, lights came on the dash (not sure which ones) and chime went off twice I think. Also, the accumulator pump came on. To me, it was almost like pressure failure in the system triggered by hit.
    Did you have any warning lights come on?

19. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Pruis has the best brakes of any car I've driven in 33 years and in that time, I've driven a lot of cars. For a time I was renting cars on a weekly basis for work and I doubt any of them would have stopped faster than the Prius.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He has the base model so no PCS.

Sure. The more detail, the better.