1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake bleeding with techstream. Can I use ready mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Spiritfish, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Spiritfish

Spiritfish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Can I put the car in "Ready" mode while brake bleeding or does it have to be in "IG-ON" mode when using techstream?

Last year when i i brake bleed with the techstream software the instructions was to put the car in IG-ON. But the problem with that was that the 12V battery runs out and the brake bleeding process got interupted in the middle. Had to redo it one more time after i charged the 12V battery over night. But then the 12V battery run out again! So it was a mess.

Anyway tomorow I will do it again but dont want this to happen again. Is it ok to have the car in "Ready-Park" mode while brake bleeding so that the ICE or the big battery can charge the 12V battery?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like your 12V battery needs to be replaced in the near future since it appears its storage capacity is low.
    In the meantime, you should leave the battery charger connected, 10A setting, while you are doing the brake bleeding so that the car can be left IG-ON (not READY).

3. Spiritfish

Spiritfish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick,

It was raining last week so i postponed the brake bleeding. Did it today and it went perfectly with the charger connected and IG-ON. Its probably time to buy a new battery. Was going to last year but never got around to do it. And it have worked since. Its only when I am in IG-ON for 45-60 minutes or so the battery runs out which only happens when I do a brake bleed other than that the car always starts. But have read many threads about weird problem happens when the 12V battery is starting to go bad. I feel the ICE engine runs alot, maybe beacuse it tries to charge the 12V battery?

Have a nice day!