1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake booster and abs accumulator install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Radiospank, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    069099B7-7085-4438-AE31-CEC2F357E1E3.jpeg 20C60901-7BFB-4493-8DA5-2D9E9FA65D48.jpeg C1AE56D9-CE74-4547-B6E0-FEA156169DBA.jpeg Well I thought I would share my experience installing a used brake booster and abs accumulator from eBay off a 2012 Prius.

#install
    I won’t go into how to do it because there are great videos on YouTube showing it.
    Abs accumulator was the hardest part because of the clearance, but once you get it in, it’s not to hard to put in the brake booster shortly after.

remember to put the red brake line in after you put in the abs Accumulator, I didn’t and had to take out the brake booster like a dumb nice person. Also make sure your brake lines are tight or pretty snug, I didn’t have a few of mine snug and a lot of brake fluid came out when bleeding the brakes.

# programming the brake booster
    Since I got a newer part from a 2012, mine is a 2010, I was forced to reprogram the brake booster. I initially bought the mini vci off eBay for 40 bucks but whenever I used the brake bleeding utility it would fail. So after some digging around I read on here that Tactrix works well but costs around $180, anyway I got it because why not. Guess what it worked perfectly, I was able to bleed my brakes and the abs accumulator with the tech stream software. Lesson learned is just buy the tactrix obd2 dongle and call it a day.

Louie T and bisco like this.
  2. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Link to YouTube. Video I followed to install

Mendel Leisk, KBee and Louie T like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

Radiospank likes this.
  4. 2k13prius

2k13prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About to finish my brake booster replacement(not paying toyota 2,800) but I cant find the tactrix dongle , do you still have the link to it? Greatly appreciated or a link to one that would work

5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    https://amzn.to/36S75ij

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For anyone else reading this in the future:

Please please please please avoid buying counterfeit Tactrix dongles.

That is exactly what destroyed the XHorse Mini VCI and made it so counterfeits of that product are all you can buy now.

At least, so far, Tactrix is still in business, and they still design and update and build their own real product, which you can buy from their web site at tactrix.com. It is still $169 there, the same price it was five years ago when I wrote about it here.

They do not have distributors selling their real product other places at huge discounts. If you see a "Tactrix" dongle someplace else for a fraction of the price, you will not have magically found a fabulous deal on a real product. You will just be helping to drown one of the last still-viable businesses that's actively building and supporting an affordable dongle we can use.

If you want a dongle for less money, please buy one of the other available dongles that cost less. Like a Mini VCI, where you're not doing any more damage, because that business was already killed.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a sneaky difference on the accumulators: to differentiate older style and revised, they rotated the labels 90 degrees.

upload_2022-3-1_9-15-24.png

There was a thread here some year back, someone noted lots of older style accumulators for sale, speculating they were being sold by unscrupulous dealerships who'd done the swap for a customer, likely gratis.

PDF's attached:

Attached Files: