1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake booster and master cylinder... Bleeding?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bagn, Jun 8, 2022.

1. bagn

bagn New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the brake master cylinder and booster. I blead the brakes at each wheel. and I see there is a bleed point on the master cylinder.. So without tecscan how do I bleed it?

Thanks !!

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Without Techstream, you don't. (Strictly speaking, that's not quite true; there can be other scan tools, like maybe an Autel or a ThinkDiag, that also have the bleeding functions.)

There are valves inside that unit you replaced that only open when the ECU commands them to, and without something like Techstream making that happen, nothing you do gets the air out behind them.

If you are only bleeding brake lines (say, if you had simply replaced a caliper), you can get away with non-Techstream options.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've attached with/without Techstream methods, from repair manual. I'm clueless, definitely defer to @ChapmanF : Techstream method is the way to go for this.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel has posted (it's happened before) with/without Techstream methods for brake fluid replacement. You can see that's the heading of those repair manual sections.

The key to replacement is that you start with an already-bled system filled with fluid and no air, you let no air in during the process, and you end up with replaced fluid and no air. There is a non-Techstream method for that in the manual, as Mendel has posted.

If there is air in there, as when the actuator has been swapped, you are not doing fluid replacement, you are doing bleeding. And because of the valves inside the unit that have to be commanded open for that to work, there is no non-Techstream bleeding procedure.

Again, you can find some other scan tools that also have the bleeding functions. So I should really say there's no procedure for that "long-form" head-end bleeding that you don't initiate with Techstream or some other scan tool that can do it.

If you are only bleeding lines out to calipers, that's easier.

5. bagn

bagn New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So if he goes with the Techstream method (as I suggested), he's ok? Or no?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the Techstream brake bleeding for new actuator procedure is what does the trick.

Mendel Leisk likes this.