1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake booster replace/techstream process

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by henry ortiz, Feb 15, 2021.

1. henry ortiz

henry ortiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello there
    My brake booster on my Prius 2010 third generation failed unfortunately Toyota not cover the repair under the recall, instead they quoted me around 3k to replace the part.
    A local shop quote me $600 plus parts
    So I decided do it by myself I went to my local yonker and I found a Prius same model like mine with 36k miles so I got the brake booster for $170 I have techstream Toyota.
    So my question is after doing the bleeding brakes lines with the techstream software
    What’s other procedure do I need to do?
    I really appreciate your help with the next steps
    With the techstream
    Thank you

2. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    + In for the learning (and probable fate)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @ChapmanF knows the ins and outs, hopefully will contribute.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For starters, people sometimes get the names mixed up ... which of these did you buy?

[​IMG]

athlete11 likes this.
  5. henry ortiz

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got the brake booster assembly

6. henry ortiz

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know how to do it with techstream?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think there is anything else you need to do after following the long-form bleed procedure in Techstream.

If I've forgotten anything and there is any other initialization to be done, you will near-certainly get a diagnostic code that will tell you to do it, and that won't be a problem, as you'll have Techstream right there.

8. henry ortiz

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok got it, but how about the relearn linear valve offset?
    Thanks in advance

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it wants you to that it will give you the code that says it wants to do that. And there you will be, with Techstream, looking at the code saying it wants to do that, so you will say ok, go ahead, and it will.

10. Denise Oyler

Denise Oyler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our brake booster assembly is leaking so we need to replace it. We have a question on the techstream. Is there a way to do this on our own without having to have Toyota program it? How do I get techstream? Is it really just a cable I buy on Ebay that has the software with it or do I need a username & password? Does it matter if we buy a new assembly or is it better to get one from a used Prius at a junkyard.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, my experience with brake boosters is on a 2012 Prius v, not a 2007. But some information may be better than no feedback.

Techstream software is a hacked version the cable seller gives you a link to access. It is not legal, must run on a windows pc, most often windows 7, generally requires a cryptic registry edit, the instructions are poor and the resulting application has a learning curve of its own. They give you a generic password and tell you to keep it offline. However many report it works.

Personally I let a dealer or equipped mechanic do things like bleeding or calibration procedure if needed.

New is far better than used. Most original boosters will fail. So you could be buying a guaranteed used part that takes two days to install just to have it fail. Or it could fail two months from now. Another issue in my experience is there are at least two different part numbers per year based on things like tire size or model. So the identification of your part number is the starting point followed by the identification of the used part based on its donor car vin.

In a used part scenario, I would put the responsibility on an independent mechanic who sources the parts, installs, bleeds, calibrates and tests with at least a 90 day warranty. Make sure he has done this before. If you have a local parts source with a good return policy like LKQ, your choice may differ.

12. Denise Oyler

Denise Oyler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the response. We aren't able to pay $2700 to have it fixed at Toyota and we can't find any other shops around here that do that. The car has 185000 miles on it so we aren't wanting to put that much money into it.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Search google for hybrid mechanic.